Spelt Raisin Bread
This Spelt raisin bread recipe is a favourite in our house toasted for breakfast. Made with a combination of white and wholegrain spelt flour for a balance of grains. I have added sweetness and spices to create extra flavour, I often make this with just water if I don't have enough oat milk. For making raisin bread at home you will need to set aside 3 hours. Or prepare the dough up to step 8, rest in the fridge overnight for the second rise remove 20-30 mins before baking then you will have fresh bread for breakfast. I often bake the bread the night before ready for raisin toast the next day.
Add this to your favourite spelt flour recipes and you will enjoy this over and over.
Takes = 15 prep. resting time, 1.5 to 2 hours, plus 45 mins to cool
Bakes = 30-40 mins
Makes = 10-12 slices
- Spelt flour (250g white, 250g wholegrain) – 500g
- Ground cinnamon –2-3 tsp
- Mixed Spice – 2 tsp
- Instant yeast – 7g (a heaped teaspoon)
- Warm Water or Milk (I use oat milk) – 250ml to 300ml
- Sultana's or Raisins (or a combination) – 140g
- Salt – 7g (1 tsp)
- Sugar, brown sugar, honey (or agave nectar) – 2 tbsp
- One Egg for egg wash glaze, 1 tsp white sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
- OVEN preheated 200˚C fan
- PREPARE small 900g loaf tin with baking paper
- ADD flour, yeast, and spices and slowly add the water (only 250ml to start) then salt if using a stand mixer use the dough hook and combine starting on low the increase to a medium speed and knead until the dough moves away from the sides of the bowl and the bowl starts to look clean. Use your eye and touch to check if the dough needs additional water. With practice, you will intuitively know what looks right.
- REMOVE from the bowl with floured hands and form a smooth ball, add a little flour to the base of the bowl and place the dough back in the bowl and cover with plastic or a damp cloth.
- REST in a warm spot for 1-1.5 hours until the dough has doubled in size. This timing will vary depending on the temperature of your room.
- ONCE doubled remove from the bowl and place on a floured bench top and stretch slightly add fruit and kneed gently until combined or you could also add the dough back into the mixer and combine for a few bursts of 30 seconds.
- STRETCH and fold over one stretch away from you then fold, one on the left side then fold then one on the right side then fold, until you form a loaf shape, don't be alarmed that this will be smaller than your loaf tin, as the dough will grow again with the second rise/ prove. (watch the video for step-by-step instructions).
- PLACE the smooth side up in your loaf tin.
- REST covered for another 30-40 minutes
- GLAZE with egg wash, cut through the centre with a sharp knife and sprinkle with a little white sugar and cinnamon
- BAKE 25-30 mins with a tray of water at the base of the oven.
- REST in the tin to cool for at least 30-45 mins before cutting.