Are you wondering if you can make a nut-free flourless banana cake? The answer is yes. I have created this flourless chocolate banana bread recipe using ground sunflower seeds. The flavours in this banana bread get better the next day and then the next. It is super moist and gentle on the tummy being gluten-free, nut-free and wheat-free.
I love eating sunflower seeds and find that they are kinder to my stomach than ground almonds. I tested to see if I could make a good tasting banana bread with sunflower seeds; I trialled this flourless banana bread recipe based on my very popular spelt banana bread recipe and viola, it worked and it is super moist and delicious flourless chocolate banana bread.
Why do your cookies or cakes turn green when you bake with sunflower seeds?
The chlorophyll in sunflower seeds has a chemical reaction with the baking soda/powder when baked, causing your baking to turn a green colour when cooled. A tip to counteract this reaction is to add lemon juice or a little chocolate to cover the green.
- Ripe Bananas – 250g (no skins, about 5 small)
- Unsalted butter – 125g (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp)
- Dark brown sugar – 125g (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp)
- Large free-range eggs – 2
- Ground sunflower seeds – 200g (1 cup + 2/3 cup)
- Cocoa powder – 30g (about 1/4 cup)
- Baking powder – 2 tsp
- Ground cinnamon – 2 tsp
- Whole sunflower seeds (optional) – 1 tsp
- OVEN preheat for 170˚C fan, Gas Mark 5, and grease and paper line a small loaf tin
- GRIND sunflower seeds for a few seconds in a NutriBullet, food processor or blender.
- WHIP butter and sugar together until fluffy
- ADD in eggs one at a time.
- ADD in ground seeds
- SIFT cocoa powder, spices and baking powder together then mix with the other ingredients until combined.
- GENTLY add in the bananas and combine until mixed, no need to over-mix.
- POUR into the prepare loaf tin sprinkle the top with whole sunflower seeds.
- BAKE for 50 mins until cooked through.
- REST in the tin until cooled before removing.
- STORE in a sealed container for up to 5 days. This cake stays moist for days, it's amazing.