What's for Dinner? Sweet Potato Balls
What's for Dinner? This week I am sharing Sweet Potato balls my new favourite type of falafel. I have been testing and sampling versions of sweet potato balls over the last three months; trying baking versus fried. Bake the sweet potato the day before to prepare and make it quicker to make this recipe.
A super quick and healthy dinner idea, using a can of chickpeas, baked sweet potato, spices rest for 30 minutes or overnight, to then make into balls coated in crunchy sesame seeds and baked in the oven. No frying or oil needed for this tasty sweet potato balls recipe.
Even suitable for toddlers as this recipe for sweet potato balls originally inspired by a kids site organic.com, I have tweaked and adapted it slightly easy to prep the day before, roll the balls and bake for 20 minutes.
I love how you can turn three sweet potatoes into delicious easy to eat savoury balls.
- TAKES = 10-30mins (plus chill time)
- BAKES = 30-60mins (prep. 45mins + roasting balls 20mins)
- MAKES = 20 BALLS
- Sweet Potatoes pre-roasted – 500g (2-3)
- Garlic powder or granules (or fresh garlic) – 2 tsp
- Ground cumin – 1.5 tsp
- Ground coriander – 1.5 tsp
- Chopped fresh parsley or coriander (I use frozen 2-3 tbsp if I have it) – 2 handfuls
- Half the juice of 1 lemon
- Tahini – 2 tbsp
- Can of Chickpeas (or 200g whole and boiled) – 400g
- Sprinkle of sesame seeds
Tahini Dressing (optional)
- Lemon or Orange juice + zest
- 2 tsp tahini (optional if making for kids)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- PREPARE the sweet potato, wash, then poke a fork in each sweet potato and roast in a hot oven 200˚C, 30-40 mins. This can be done the day before.
- BLEND in a food processor or mash and squish with a potato masher until your chickpeas are crushed.
- MIX in garlic powder, spices, lemon juice and herbs blend all together.
- WHILE you are waiting for the potatoes to cook prepare your dressing. Add all ingredients in a small jar and shake until combined.
- REMOVE the cooked sweet potatoes and cool slightly before cutting and scooping out sweet potato flesh.
- ADD the sweet potato to a bowl and mash with a potato masher or blend in a food processor.
- MIX chickpeas and sweet potatoes together, cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes or preferably overnight. If in a hurry and the mix it too wet, add 2 few tablespoons of oats, or ground flax seeds or flour, or a little of all.
- PREHEAT oven 200 ˚C
- REMOVE the chill mix and using a teaspoon scoop out the mix and roll it in your hands to form either a disc or balls and roll into sesame seeds. I also use put my sesame seeds in a flat container or bowl.
- CONTINUE to form the balls, you should make at least 20 balls and place on a large lined oven tray.
- BAKE in a hot oven for 20-30mins. check at 10 minutes you may want to turn the balls over.
- WHISK dressing ingredients together.
- SERVE with salad or just as a snack.