Lamingtons are the perfect treat for Australia Day. Lamingtons look hard to make but are easy when you know-how watch my easy step by step video for you Australia Day food recipes. Lamingtons are loved by Australians and now becoming popular in the UK.
What are lamingtons? Imagine a fluffy sponge cake that's has a thin layer of chocolate coated with desiccated coconut. My lamingtons recipe is perfect for an Australia day dessert or picnic treat.
According to popular stories in 1901 Lord Lamington (the governor of Queensland) dropped a sponge cake into some melted chocolate by accident, instead of wasting it the cake was covered in desiccated coconut and the lamington was born.
Takes = 10mins prep plus resting time overnight.
Bakes = 20-25 mins
Makes = 16
Ingredients for Sponge Cake (best made day before)
- Triple Sifted Spelt or Plain Flour – 200g (1 1/3 cups)
- Baking powder – 1.5 tsp
- Castor Sugar – 200g (1 cup)
- Eggs – 4
- Melted butter – 110g (about 1/2 cup)
Ingredients for Chocolate and coconut coating
- Cocoa – 50g (1/2 cup)
- Milk – 160ml (2/3 cup)
- Sifted Icing sugar – 290g
- Desiccated coconut – 160g (2 cups)
- PREHEAT oven 180˚C, grease and line a 23cm square cake tin.
- WHIP eggs until very fluffy and then start adding a little sugar at a time making sure it has dissolved each time this will take 5-8 mins
- TRIPLE sift the flours then remove from your electric mixer and gently fold in the flours mixing by hand. Pour in cooled melted butter 1/3 at a time and gently fold in.
- SPREAD into your prepared pan
- BAKE for 20-25 mins.
- COOL completely top up on a wire rack (best overnight if you have time).
- CHOCOLATE mix – sift cocoa and icing sugar into a heat proof bowl and stir in butter and milk and gently simmer over a small saucepan of water until smooth.
- CUT off the edges of the cake into 16 squares approx. 5 x 5cm (2 x 2 inches)
- DIP each piece into chocolate using two forks drain, then dip into coconut. A tip is to only use a little coconut at a time as you may need get clumps of chocolate in it.
- CHILL in the fridge for 10 mins to set the chocolate before enjoying.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
Gluten free – use gluten-free flour