A few weeks ago I had a few oranges that needed using up. I was dreaming about how could I make an easy orange loaf cake. This orange cake is a simple and easy cake to whip up, crunchy outside, moist and light inside. I use spelt flour but feel free to use the flour of your choice. No oranges, then you could make this as a lemon cake instead.
Takes = 10-15 mins to prep.
Bakes = 40-50 mins
Makes = 10-12 slices
- Sifted Spelt flour (or self-raising flour* and no baking powder) – 200g (about 1 + 3/4 cup)
- Baking powder – 2 tsp
- Caster sugar – 150g (1 cup)
- Beaten Eggs – 2
- Oranges – 2 (zest and juice)
- Butter or oil – 100g/ml (just under 1 cup)
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- PREHEAT oven 170˚C and grease and line a small loaf tin 1 lb
- WHISK flour and baking powder together then set aside.
- WHIP butter and sugar for a few minutes until light.
- ADD in beaten eggs, juice, zest and vanilla and mix on low until combined.
- ADD in the sifted flour mix in three parts. Be careful to not over-mix. The last step you could do by hand away from the mixer.
- BAKE 40-50 minutes
- COOL then sprinkle with icing sugar
- STORE in a sealed container for up to 5 days or freeze for about 2 months.
*Self-raising flour is usually found in the UK and Australian supermarkets. Known as SR flour. No need for baking powder.