There's always room for another moist cinnamon apple cake recipe. I made this cinnamon apple cake with spelt flour up one morning when I had a few apples that needed using up, and I was craving apple cake for breakfast. I know I shouldn't be eating cake for breakfast, but it tastes so good with a coffee. The secret behind my cinnamon apple cake recipe for a super moist cake is because I have added in yoghurt, a little oil and dark brown sugar.
See below for my baking tips on how to swap out some of the ingredients.
Prep. Time = 20 minutes
Baking Time = 30 minutes
Serves = 12-18
- White Spelt Flour or your flour of choice– 200g (about 1 cup + 2/3)
- Unsalted Butter or oil – 125g /125ml (about 1/2 cup)
- Sunflower Oil (leave this out for the vegan option only add 120ml) – 3 tbsp (24ml)
- Castor Sugar - 100g (about 1/2 cup)
- Dark Brown Sugar – 100g (just under 1/2 cup)
- Baking powder – 2 tsp
- Ground cinnamon – 2 tsp
- Greek Yoghurt – 12o g (about 1/2 cup)
- Large eggs beaten – 2
- Red Apples (peeled, cored and sliced) – 4 small or one large
- Optional Topping – 1/2 tsp extra cinnamon and 1 tsp granulated white sugar
1. PREHEAT oven 170˚C fan, and grease and line a square baking tin or 23cm (9 inch round)
2. BEAT butter and sugars togethers, add in the beaten eggs.
3. MIX yoghurt and oil together and pour half into butter mixture.
4. WHISK flour, baking powder and cinnamon together and then add half to your mixer, pour in the balance of the mix. Then the balance of the flour.
5. POUR into your tin and top with sliced apple, finish with a sprinkle of cinnamon and 1 tsp of regular granulated sugar.
6. BAKE for 30-35 minutes
7. COOL for 10-20 minutes before serving
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- NO EGGS – try 2 tbsp ground flax seeds with 6 tbsp water mixed and rested for 10 minutes
- VEGAN – to make this non dairy swap out the butter for non dairy butter or a neutral oil like sunflower oil.
- SUGAR – no brown sugar swap out and use all white.
- NO YOGHURT – swap out for milk and sour it to make butter milk by adding in 1 tbsp of lemon juice, then rest for 15 mins.