As summer approaches I usually swap porridge for granola. I was curious to make a healthy version of homemade Granola with coconut oil and no maple syrup but using brown rice syrup. Making homemade granola is simple and this recipe includes no refined sugar. Inspired by a Farmhouse Granola recipe from my Spelt Recipe Book by Roger Saul.
I have made this granola with rolled oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, melted coconut oil, vanilla, brown rice syrup (or swap this out for honey, maple syrup or agave) then sultana's (or your choice of extras) tossed in at the end with a sprinkling of cinnamon.
Takes = 10 minutes to prep.
Bakes = 30 minutes
Makes = 450g
- Rolled oats – 250g (2.5 cups)
- Sunflower Seeds – 55g (1/2 cup)
- Pumpkin Seeds – 55g (1/2 cup)
- Almonds (or walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, mixed nuts) – 55g (1/2 cup)
- Sultana's (or raisin, cranberries, coconut flakes) – 55g (1/2 cup)
- Melted coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- Sweetener – brown rice syrup, maple, agave, honey – 55g (2.5 tbsp)
- Vanilla extract – 2 tsp
- Salt – pinch
- Cinnamon – 1/2 tsp
- OVEN – 140˚C (Gas 1) and prepare a 20 x 30cm baking tray
- TOSS all dry ingredients (except dried fruit) in a large bowl.
- MELT coconut oil, remove from the heat and then add water and vanilla extract stir then pour over the oat mix and stir until combined.
- PLACE and spread evenly on a lined baking tray and bake for 10 minutes. Remove and toss around then bake for an additional 20 minutes until toasted and golden brown.
- REMOVE from the oven and cool slightly before adding in the dried fruit.
- STORE in a sealed container.