Are you looking for a twist on Hot Cross buns for Easter? Then try this Spelt poppy seed twist bread. My Spelt flour poppy seed twist bread recipe includes my favourite white spelt flour (high protein content) and adding in oat milk.
I have made this inspired by baketotheroots.de recipe, I have adapted it slightly.
Serve fresh from the oven then spread the poppy seed twist bread with butter and jam.
Takes = 2 hours approx.
Bakes = 30-35 minutes
Makes = 18 slices (2 loaves)
Ingredients for the filling
- Oat milk (or whole) – 180ml (3/4 cup)
- White sugar – 50g (1/4 cup)
- Blue poppy seeds – 100g (2/3 cup)
- Semolina – 40g (1/4 cup)
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
Ingredients for the spelt dough
- White Spelt flour – 500g (4 cups)
- Quick Instant yeast – 7g packet (about 2 tsp)
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Warm Oat milk – 250ml (1 cup)
- Unsalted soft butter – 50g (1/4 cup)
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Large egg beaten
- Pinch salt
- Egg (for wash) – 1
- Oat milk – 1-2 tbsp (for the wash)
- PREP. THE FILLING: Add milk, sugar, poppy seeds, semolina to a small saucepan and heat gently, continuing to stir, be careful this heats up very quickly and thickens fast due to the semolina so you can't walk away. Rest and cool for at least 30 minutes. If I remember I do this the day before and leave in the fridge overnight.
- MIX yeast, 2 tsp of sugar and milk and rest for 15 minutes. Skip this step if using quick action yeast.
- ADD flour to your mixing bowl, I like to use my Kitchen Aid with my dough hook, but feel free to use your hands. Combine yeasted milk (that should be bubbly by now), balance of sugar, egg, butter and knead for about 10 minutes until nice and smooth. The dough should pull away from the sides.
- REST covered with plastic wrap or a damp cloth until the dough rises and doubles in size. This usually takes 1 to 1.5 hours depending on how warm your kitchen is. Ensure the bowl is not placed near a window or draft.
- OVEN preheat to 170˚C.
- ROLL out the risen dough on a floured bench or floured pastry mat. Roll until you achieve a large rectangle shape, about as big as the baking tray.
- SPREAD the prepare thick poppy seed mixture over the dough leaving a 2cm border around the edge. If the mixture is too thick add a little milk to loosen.
- ROLL starting from the long side of the rectangle. Tightly roll until it looks like a long sausage. Place the roll on a baking sheet with baking paper. Grab a knife and cut through the middle of the roll. Squeeze the top edge together then braid the roll left over right, etc, etc. Don't worry if it's not perfect and the filling starts to show this is all part of a twist bread.
- BEAT the extra egg and add a little milk. Brush this over the top of the braid roll.
- BAKE in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
- REST for about 30 minutes before serving.