Versatile Spelt Flour Oat Cookie Recipe
Wholegrain spelt and white spelt flour combined with rolled oats, butter and honey. This is a versatile spelt flour oat cookie recipe that is super easy to add to your creative flavour twist. You could pop in figs, sultanas, walnuts, pistachios or chocolate chips. Fresh spelt oat cookies are a very, very easy recipe to whip up in one bowl and create your favourite combination. This is an ideal breakfast cookie or a semi-healthy cookie to eat for a snack.
Spelt flour Oat Cookies is an easy recipe to swap out the butter for a non-dairy substitute and feel free to use your choice of flour and or sugars.
This recipe was inspired by a cookie recipe in Spelt by Roger Saul and adapted slightly to include what I had on hand and my preferred combinations.
Takes = 20 minutes
Bake = 10 minutes
Makes = 18 medium cookies
- Rolled oats – 175g (1 + 3/4 cups)
- White spelt flour – 55g (1/2 cup)
- Wholegrain spelt flour – 55g (1/2 cup)
- Light Brown Sugar – 115g (1/2 cup)
- Melted Unsalted butter – 115g
- Pinch salt
- Honey or natural liquid sweetener – 3 tbsp
- Bicarbonate of soda – 1 tsp
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Water – 1 tbsp for rolling
Method for the base recipe
- OVEN – preheat 180˚C/350˚F/ Gas 4 and line two baking sheets with baking paper.
- MIX in a large bowl oats, flours and sugar.
- MELT butter and honey together gently in a small saucepan. Add bicarbonate of soda and vanilla then mix together.
- POUR over the liquid mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients, then combine until all mixed through. Now create your own version. Add in your favourite nuts, seeds, fruit and or spices.
- MIX through your extras, if you have time rest and chill the cookie dough in the fridge for 20-30 minutes. If not scoop out cookie dough with an ice cream scoop and press to form a ball if the mixture is crumbly add a tablesopon of water to your dough. Also add flour or water to your hands to help form the cookie. Gently press the top of the cookie dough with a fork or your fingers to flatten slightly.
- BAKE for 10 minutes until golden brown. Depending on your extras the time may take a little longer. NB if using chocolate chips they may only take 8 minutes, more fruit and they may need 12-15 minutes. If you like you could flatten the cookies when they come out of the oven too.
- COOL for at least 5 minutes on the baking tray before transferring onto a wire rack to cool.
FIG & WALNUT COOKIES: 9 cookies
- Dried chopped figs – 35g
- Chopped walnut pieces – 40g
SUNFLOWER SEEDS AND SULTANA COOKIES: 9 cookies
- Sultanas – 35g
- Sunflower Seeds – 40g