I had a request from a viewer to share how to make a bechamel sauce gluten-free and with oat milk. Simple ingredients, olive oil, white rice flour, tapioca flour, oat milk*, a little spice, mustard and nutritional yeast. Feel free to include parmesan cheese and butter if preferred. This gluten-free béchamel sauce or white sauce is a handy sauce to prepare ahead of time to use in lasagne, pasta bake or spooned over vegetables.
My favourite oat milk is the Swedish brand Oatly, so creamy and one of the original and they make their oat milk with gluten-free oats*. This bechamel white sauce recipe with oat milk is one of my favourite ways to have an easy plant-based sauce to use every week.
Takes = 10 mins prep.
Cooks = 20 minutes
Makes = 2 cups
- Olive Oil (or non dairy butter) – 2.5 to 3 tbsp
- White Rice Flour – 2 tbsp
- Tapioca Flour – 2 tbsp
- Oat Milk* (or your preferred milk) – 500ml (2 cups, 1 pint, 16 fl oz))
- Nutmeg – 1/8 tsp
- Sprinkle salt + pepper
- Dijon Mustard (or any mustard on hand this is optional) – 1 tsp
- Nutritional yeast – 2 tbsp
MELT oil/non-dairy in saucepan and then add in both flours and combine to make your paste – which is called a roux, cook this until thick for a few minutes.
POUR in the oat milk a little at a time whisking as you pour in, then add in the spices and nutritional and add the rest of the milk.
Use the sauce immediately or cool before storing covered in a sealed container in the fridge. The bechamel will thicken as it cools.
Sue Maree P Tips
- If you have any lumps whiz with a Bamix, or an electric beater or blender to make smooth
- OAT MILK – the brand I use is one of the original Oatly made in Sweden and their oat milk is made with gluten-free oats. Click here for more information