My super-easy way how to make spelt flour pizza dough at home from scratch in 2 hours. Only 3 ingredients + water; white spelt flour, yeast, salt. Or white spelt flour and 10-30% wholegrain spelt In my video I show step by step how to make the dough and separate it for using on the day, storing overnight and freezing. We love our spelt pizza’s thin and crusty with a soft pillowy crust. Our style is known as Pizza Napoletana or Naples style pizza, or Neapolitan Pizza; using flour, yeast, salt and water and topping with tomato and cheese. If adding olive oil to the dough this makes Roman style.
Check out this great article explaining the difference. https://basilico.co.uk/pizza-and-sides-menu-for-delivery/dough-notes/pizza-naples-vs-rome
Takes = 15 mins prep. + rest time 2 hours
Bakes = with pizza steel 3.5mins or 8/9 mins without a pizza steel
Makes = 5 balls about 250 to 270g each about 12 inch
- White Spelt flour – 750g (about 5 cups)
- Instant dried yeast – 7g (1 packet)
- Warm water – 525ml (about 2 cups + 1 tbsp + 3 tsp)
- Salt – 16g (1 tbsp)
- Olive oil for greasing and hands
- Extra flour for bench
MIX flour, salt and add in dried yeast and warm water, combine for 5-8 minutes if using a stand mixer with your dough hook. If using hands knead and stretch for 10 minutes until dough is smooth, silky and elastic looking. If using wholegrain spelt flour you may need a little extra water.
REST you dough in a grease bowl covered with a damp tea towel for about 1 hour until the dough is risen and doubled in size.
DIVIDE the dough on a floured bench into balls. Stretch and pull method. Watch my video for step by step instructions. Place dough balls with a little flour on top on a flour tray and cover with the damp cloth and rest for an another hour. If you are not planning to bake straight away. Chill the dough balls in the fridge in a seal container with a little flour on the base and top of the dough ball. Best used the following day if possible.
OVEN preheat to the maximum temperature 220˚C we use a pizza steel to get a super hot oven (see notes below on where to buy). Then turn on the grill when we bake.
GRAB a dough ball and flatten slightly to knock out some air in the centre on a floured surface, lift the dough up and gently rotate in a circular motion (this takes practise and I am still perfecting) stretching and pulling into a disc shape. Once to the desired size and shape (if it's not perfect it will still taste amazing) it is ready to add yo0ur favourite toppings.
BAKE with steel 3-4 mins, without steel 8 to 9 mins
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- THREE BALLS ONLY – 450g white spelt flour, 10g salt, 315ml warm water, 1/2 packet instant dried yeast about 4g
- PIZZA STEEL – I would highly recommend investing in a pizza steel like this one https://www.smokerig.co.uk/product/baking-steel/. The one we bought no longer delivers to the UK https://pizzasteel.com/pages/shop. This ensures you reach a super high temperature in your oven and your pizza taste like they're bought from a pizza shop. No even better as they are fresh out of the oven and hot. No more eating half cold pizza.