Are you searching for an easy date cake with buckwheat flour? This date cake with buckwheat flour made in a small loaf tin is moist and light and super easy to make. This easy date cake reminds me of my mum, she made a packet mix version of this 'known as date loaf' when we were children. Often a regular in our lunchbox.
This recipe is super versatile; I also love baking this recipe with either buckwheat or spelt flour, but feel free to use the flour of your choice.
This date cake is perfect serve on its own, or add a little butter and enjoy.
Takes = 10 mins to prep.
Bakes = 45 mins
Makes small loaf = 8 to 10 slices
- Chopped dates – 140g (1 cup)*
*save 1+1/2 heaped tsp to add to the top of the cake
- Boiling water – 1/4 cup
- Dark brown Sugar - 150g (2/3 cup packed)
- Oat Milk (or whole milk) – 100ml (1/3 cup + 1 + 1 tsp)
- Large Eggs – 2
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Ground cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Ground ginger – 1/2 tsp
- Unsalted butter – 125g (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp)
- Flour (I use buckwheat) – 200g (1 cup + 1/4 cup)
- Bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) – 1 tsp
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- OVEN preheat to 170˚C and butter and paper line a small loaf tin
- SOAK chopped dates in a 1/4 cup of boiling water and 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda. Rest for 10 minutes.
- MIX together unsalted butter and sugar
- ADD in eggs one at a time and vanilla.
- WHISK the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and spices
- FOLD in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and spices.
- FOLD in soaked dates (leave some aside for the top)
- ADD in milk and mix through until totally combined.
- POUR into the baking tin and add a few tablespoons of chopped dates to the top and a sprinkle of white sugar (optional).
- BAKE 40-50 mins
- COOL for around 10 minutes before removing from the tin.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- Flour – swap out for your favourite flour
- Butter – this could also work using dairy free butter for a vegan option
- Eggs – swap out for flax egg for a vegan option
- Milk – I love oat milk but use whole milk or your preferred milk. I don't bake with soya or almond so I can't recommend using those. I find oat milk performs well in baking.
- Nuts – you could add walnuts as they pair well with dates. Firstly roast the walnuts on a lined baking tray for 7-10 mins then chop finely. Leave some aside to add to the top of the cake.