Easy Spelt Bakewell Slice
Do you love Bakewell Tarts but want an easier recipe? This spelt Bakewell slice combines an easy shortcrust pastry base, raspberry jam and topped with an almond frangipane filling and flaked almonds. Baked in square or rectangle tin.
Perfect for an afternoon tea treat with a cup of tea.
Takes = prep. 20mins (no chilling time required)
Bakes = base, 20mins, slice 40mins
Makes = 16 squares
Ingredients for the shortcrust base
- Spelt Flour – 200g (1 cup + 1/3 cup)
- Caster Sugar – 75g (about 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp)
- Chilled and cubed unsalted butter – 125g (1/2 cup + 1tbsp)
- Large eggs – 1
- Vanilla- 1 tsp
Ingredients for the frangipane almond filling
- Large Eggs – 2 eggs beaten
- Ground almonds – 110g (about 3/4 cup)
- Caster sugar – 110g (about 1/2 cup)
- Unsalted butter (soft) – 110g (about 1/2 cup)
- Almond extract (optional) – 1 tsp
- Raspberry Jam – 4-6 tbsp
- Flaked almonds – 1-2 tbsp (optional)
- Spelt flour – 1 tbsp
- PREHEAT oven to 170˚C fan (325˚F, Gas 5) and grease and line a 3cm deep, square baking tin.
- MIX the flour, sugar and butter to resemble breadcrumbs, this could be done in your stand mixer or with your hands.
- ADD – 1 whole egg and vanilla, then combine until you form a dough.
- PRESS dough into base of prepared pan. Prick the base with a fork, to stop it from rising too much.
- BAKE – until golden for 15 to 20 minutes.
- FILLING – beat butter and sugar together for a few mins, I use my stand mixer with the paddle attachment or you could use an electric hand held mixer.
- ADD in beaten eggs, then add in flour, almonds and almond extract and combine until just blended.
- SPREAD jam over the warm base, best to add while it is still slightly warm. I don't like too much jam, feel free to add more.
- POUR the filling over the jam and spread evenly.
- SPRINKLE with flaked almonds before baking if desired.
- BAKE for 35-40 mins until filling is golden brown.
- REST until cold in the tin before removing then cutting. Ideally this is best eaten the next day if you can wait.
- SPRINKLE with icing sugar if you want it a little fancy.