These easy pumpkin seed cookies are soft in the centre and crunchy outside. The pumpkin seed cookies are dairy-free and gluten-free with only egg whites, sugar and ground pumpkin seeds. This recipe is a version of my easy almond cookie recipe. I was curious to see if I could make a nut-free cookie that was gluten-free. And guess what? The pumpkin seed cookies were a hit with my friends and family. I used raw pumpkin seeds and ground them in my NutriBullet, then whipped up two egg whites, added a half cup of sugar, mixed, and chilled them for 15-30 minutes. The next step is to scoop out the cookie dough and roll them into flattened balls, flatten and bake it in my oven for 13-15 minutes.
They taste so delicious. Soft in the centre and crunchy on the outside. Don't be put off by the green colour of the cookie.
Takes = 10 mins prep + chill time 30 minutes
Bakes = 15 minutes
Makes = about 24 small cookies
Equipment = grinder/food processor/NutriBullet, electric mixer, baking trays and large bowl.
- Ground pumpkin seeds – 200g (1+1/4 cup)
- White sugar – 100g (1/2 cup)
- Egg white only – 2
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C, 180˚C fan and line or grease two large baking trays.
- Grind the pumpkin seeds in a NutriBullet, food processor, or coffee grinder.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks are formed. Then gently fold in the sugar and ground seeds. Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge for 30 minutes. You can try rolling straight away but the mixture is sticky and I find it easy to chill first.
- Roll into balls and place on the baking trays, then flatten with your fingertips and
- Bake for about 13 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool slightly before munching. Store in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for 2 months approximately.