Wholegrain Spelt Flour Scones: no dairy 4 ingredients
After many requests here's my wholemeal spelt flour scones recipe. These scones are made with only 4 ingredients. Wholemeal Spelt flour, baking powder, sugar and coconut milk. This spelt scones recipe is dairy-free and egg free. I love the simplicity of this recipe. Also that it is a little healthy without butter. The texture of my wholemeal spelt scones is light and with a gentle crumb as all good scones should have. Or so I am told!
This recipe was inspired by another YouTube channel The Happy Pear, they made spelt scones with baking powder and coconut milk. Totally plant-based scones and vegan.
Absolutely delicious and super easy. There's no blending of the butter into the flour
Takes = 5 minutes
Bakes = 12 to 15 minutes
Makes = approx. 6 scones approx 7cm (2.5 inch) round
- Wholegrain Spelt Flour – 220g (1.5 cups)
- Baking powder – 14g (4 teaspoons level)
- Coconut milk – 150ml (1/2 cup) + 2-3 tbs plus extra for brushing
- Sugar (optional) – 1 tbs
- Preheat oven to 220˚C/200˚C fan and preheat a lined baking tray on an upper shelf.
- Whisk the flour and baking powder into a medium bowl. Then add in sugar and the coconut milk and gently mix until combined.
- Place the dough onto a floured board and gently knead to remove any cracks.
- Pat down the dough lightly to approx. 1" in thickness. Cut into scones with a cutter dipped in flour. My size is 7cm (2.5 inches) Reform any leftovers.
- Place on a floured preheated baking sheet/tray, and glaze with a little coconut milk.
- Bake in a preheated oven on an upper shelf position for 12-15 mins approx. until golden brown. TIP: Having a slightly higher temperature gives the spelt scones a lift.
- Cool on a wire tray for 5 minutes. Serve with your favourite scone toppings.