I'm dreaming of a white Christmas... no, not the song, this is a classic Australian Christmas slice called White Christmas. Our family made the traditional version of White Christmas every year, it was my mum's favourite and we always had rice bubbles in the house. The original Kellogg's recipe cereal was made with rice bubbles, mixed dried fruit, coconut, copha (before coconut oil became trendy) and milk powder. I have revamped this treat into a gourmet adult version with melted white chocolate chips, coconut, roasted blanched almonds, dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds. This recipe is super quick, delicious and sure to be a festive season hit with your friends and family. A fun recipe to make with your children.
- 80g (3 cups) Rice Bubbles (Rice Krispies UK)
- 500g white chocolate melted
- 90g (1 cup) desiccated coconut
- 100g (1 cup) blanched roasted almonds (chopped roughly)
- 60g (1/2 cup) pumpkin seeds
- 75g (1/2 cup) sultanas
- 75g (1/2 cup) dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100g (approx. 1/2 cup) Glacè cherries (cut in half)
- Line a 20 x 30cm baking tin or square baking tin.
- Melt the white chocolate in a heat proof bowl, over a saucepan of simmering water.
- While the chocolate is melting, roast the nuts in a moderate oven, 160˚c for around 5 minutes until slightly golden brown.
- Once the chocolate is melted pour onto all other ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Press into your baking tin and chill in the refrigerator for at least 3-4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Remove the slice from the refrigerator an 30-60 minutes before serving and cut once the slice into small pieces. If it's summer in your country you may only need 10 minutes resting before cutting.