Make your own easy Swedish-style gluten-free seed crackers for Christmas. Swedish seed crackers are known as Fröknäcke (froo-necky), a crunchy crispy bread made with seeds. This is an easy one-bowl recipe using a combination of seeds, boiling water, oil and a little salt.
This Swedish seed cracker recipe is easy to make and perfect to have with cream cheese, dips, cheese or cold meats or wrap up and give as a gift.
In Swedish these crackers are called juligt-fröknäcke which translates to Merry Miss.
Inspired and translated from this recipe
Takes = 5 minutes prep. and 15 minutes resting time
Bakes = 40 minutes
Makes = 12-15 large pieces
- Sunflower seeds – 100g (3/4 cup)
- Pumpkin seeds – 50g (1/4 cup + 2 tbs)
- Flax or linseeds – 50g (5 and 1/2 tbs)
- Sesame seeds – 40g (4 and 1/2 tbs)
- Chia seeds – 2 tbsp
- Boiling water – 200ml (just under 1 cup)
- Fine salt – 1/2 to 1 teaspoon (depending on taste)
- Rapeseed oil or olive oil – 1.5 tablespoon
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C, 170° fan. Chop the pumpkin and sunflower seeds slightly. Then mix all ingredients except salt and stir. Let stand and swell for 10-15 min.
- Place 1/2 of the dough on a sheet of baking paper. Place a piece of baking paper on top and press out the batter evenly with your hands or use a rolling pin, don't roll too thinly. Slide onto a large baking tray then slowly peel off the top layer of baking paper.
- Bake the seed dough in the middle of the oven for 35-40 minutes (keep an eye on it) until it is dry and golden brown. Let cool and carefully break into pieces. Store in a sealed container this will last for about 2 weeks. Or gift wrap for a Christmas gift.