Spelt Raspberry Coconut Slice
Any Australian may remember your aunt, mum or granny making this for a family gathering. Yes, a much-loved classic Australian treat (my NZ friends claim it's their recipe), which is not only easy to make, it tastes good. With a crisp coconut topping, juicy raspberry centre and crunchy biscuit base. I have swapped out the plain flour to use Spelt flour when I wanted a wheat-free treat, so if you prefer an alternative healthy treat try this option. There are only 7 ingredients in this slice recipe.
Spelt flour is a good source of fibre. The texture is light and airy like wheat flour and can be substituted in baking cakes, cookies, pancakes and bread for a healthier alternative to wheat flour.
- Spelt Flour – 200g
- Castor Sugar – 150g
- Chilled and cubed unsalted butter – 125g
- Large eggs – 3
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Raspberry Jam (I love Bonne Maman)– 250g
- Desiccated coconut – 200g
- PREHEAT oven to 170˚C fan and grease and line a 3cm deep, square baking tin 20cm.
- MIX the flour, 1/2 cup sugar and butter to resemble breadcrumbs. I use my stand mixer to make it easier. You could also use a handheld electric beater, use a large wooden spoon or mix with your hands.
- ADD – 1 whole egg and vanilla. Process to form a dough.
- PRESS dough into base of prepared pan.
- BAKE – until golden for 15 to 20 minutes.
- SPREAD – jam over warm base.
- WHISK – remaining eggs and remaining 1/2 cup sugar together. Stir in coconut. Spread over jam.
- BAKE – 25 minutes, or until golden.
- COOL completely in the tine before cutting into about 16-20 squares.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- FLOUR – swap out the Spelt flour for regular flour or gluten free flour. This recipe could also work with buckwheat flour.
- BUTTER – try freezer chilled non-dairy butter, I haven't made this recipe using this but I am sure it would work.
- RASPBERRY jam could be swapped out for your favourite flavoured jam.