A lockdown goal last year was to perfect my spelt bread making skills. This spelt flour seeded bread is a favourite. Made with Craggs and Co UK Spelt flour, I love using a combination of half wholegrain spelt flour and half white spelt flour, adding ground flaxseed (linseeds) and sunflower seeds for a little crunch and extra fibre. We love homemade bread fresh out of the oven and this easy homemade spelt seeded bread toasted for breakfast or with a bowl of vegetable soup.
- Spelt flour (250g white, 250g wholegrain) – 500g
- Ground flaxseeds/linseeds (optional) – 15g (3 tbsp)
- Instant yeast – 7g (a heaped teaspoon)
- Warm Water or Milk – 250ml to 300ml
- Sunflower seeds – 50g + 1 tbsp (to sprinkle on top)
- Salt – 7g (1 tsp)
- OVEN preheated 200˚C fan
- PREPARE small 900g loaf tin with baking paper
- ADD flour, yeast, flax and mix, slowly add the water then salt if using a stand mixer use the dough hook and combine starting on low the increase to a medium speed and knead until the dough moves away from the sides or the bowl and the bowl starts to look clean.
- REMOVE from the bowl with floured hands and form a smooth ball, add a little flour to the base of the bowl and place the dough back in the bowl and cover with plastic or a damp cloth.
- REST in a warm spot for 1-1.5 hours until the dough has doubled in size. This timing will vary depending on the temperature of your room.
- ONCE doubled remove from the bowl and place on a floured bench top and stretch slightly add in the sunflower seeds and kneed gently until combined. (in my video I didn't blend my seeds in enough but the bread still tastes delicious).
- STRETCH and fold over one stretch away from you then fold, one of the left side then fold then one on the right side then fold.
- PLACE smooth side up in your loaf tin, cut through if desired and sprinkle to top with seeds.
- REST covered for another 30-40 minutes
- BAKE 25-30 mins with a tray of water at the base of the oven
- REST in the tin to cool for at least 45 mins before cutting.