Spelt flour apple crumble with crunchy oats has been my absolute favourite way of making apple crumble recipe for as long as I can remember. This apple dessert is also known as apple crisp in other parts of the world. My Spelt flour apple crumble recipe made with fresh cooked apples, gently spiced with cinnamon and a hint of lemon, I don't add any sugar to my apples and finished with crunchy oats and coconut topping that is almost like biting into an Anzac biscuit. Spelt flour Apple crumble can be made with either red and green apples it is often best to use what apples are in season in your area. My recipe pre-cooks the peeled and sliced apples first this can be prepared ahead of time.
Apple desserts are one of my favourite desserts and apple crumble with a crunchy topping is probably in my top three favourite apple desserts. I could eat apple crumble every week and the leftovers cold for breakfast the next day are delicious. Apple crumble is a classic dessert or pudding and comfort food especially in the colder months except I could eat this all year round.
This delicious dessert/pudding is always a winner in our house and it must be served with vanilla ice cream, I am not a runny custard fan.
Takes = prep. 10 minutes + cooking apples 15-20 minutes
Bakes = 25-30 minutes
Makes = a generous 6 serves or 8 modest.
- Apple red or green – medium 6 to 8 / about 600g – 800g
- Ground Cinnamon – 1-2 tsp
- Lemon – 1-2 tbsp
- Water – about 1/4 cup
- Chilled Cubed Butter – 90g / about 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp
- Brown sugar – 50g / about 1/4 cup
- Rolled Oats – 50g / about 1/2 cup
- Desiccated Coconut – 30g / about 1/3 cup / 5 tbsp
- Plain Flour / Spelt Flour – 65g / about 1/2 cup
- Flaked or slivered almonds (optional) – sprinkle
- Ground cinnamon – 1/2 tsp
- PREHEAT oven 160˚C fan / 180˚C
- GREASE with a little butter a pie dish or glass casserole dish (I use my rectangular lasagne dish)
- APPLES – peel, core and dice your apples and place them into a saucepan.
- ADD water, squeeze the juice of half a lemon and sprinkle of cinnamon.
- BOIL for 5 minutes with a lid on, then remove the lid and simmer for 15-20 minutes until soft. Check that the liquid is not completely evaporated. It works best if the liquid slowly evaporates but your apples don't stick or dry to the base.
- CRUMBLE – whisk all the ingredients in a large bowl, add the chilled cubed butter and blend with your fingers tips until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- SPOON your prepared apples into the base of the prepare baking dish and spread evenly.
- CRUMBLE the topping evenly over the apples.
- BAKE for 25-30 minutes until crunchy and golden brown. Check at 20 minutes to make sure it's not cooking too much,
- REMOVE from the oven and rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. We love this dessert with vanilla ice cream. But feel free to add custard, and or cream.