Spelt Chocolate Pudding: self- saucing
Every Australian household grew up eating a version of self-saucing chocolate pudding. In Sue Maree P style I have made this recipe with Spelt flour, but, the original recipe is with self-raising flour, feel free to use self-raising flour if preferred.
If you're looking for an easy Spelt flour pudding dessert recipe to have on-hand to whip up for a quick dessert, then this is one recipe you need in your recipe book. The ingredients are simple - you would already have most items in the cupboard; including flour, baking powder, brown sugar, vanilla extract, white sugar, butter and milk.
I forgot to mention that this dessert is an egg-free pudding, a perfect recipe that can transform into a vegan chocolate dessert too by swapping out the butter for dairy-free butter and the milk for plant-based milk.
I have even made this chocolate pudding with oat milk - it still tastes delicious. I also love that it's mix in one bowl and baked in the same bowl or dish. A perfect recipe for beginner bakers or children to join in and help make this recipe.
A fun story, my husband Glen baked this easy self-saucing chocolate pudding for me on one of our first dinners together. I thought at the time wow a guy that bakes dessert. What a bonus! I think this made me fall in love with him that night!
I still enjoy this chocolate self-saucing pudding warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. An easy recipe to whip up with the children as most ingredients you will have in the cupboard. My husband also loves eating the leftovers cold the next day.
- SR flour or Spelt Flour– 150g / about 1 cup
- Baking powder – 2 tsp (leave out if using SR flour)
- White sugar – 150g / about 3/4 cup
- Cocoa powder – 1 tbsp
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Melted Butter – 60g / about 1/4 cup / or 3 tbsp
- Milk – 120ml / about 1/2 cup
- Brown Sugar (sprinkle on top of the batter before baking) – 150g / about 3/4
- Cocoa powder – 1 tbsp or a little more!!
- Boiling water – 500ml/ about 2 cups
- PREHEAT oven 160˚C fan, 180˚C, Gas 4. Grease with a little butter an ovenproof casserole or baking dish (we use our glass lasagne dish)
- POUR the milk into a small saucepan and add the butter. Gently heat until the butter is melted.
- WHISK the sugar, cocoa, flour and baking powder in your baking dish
- REMOVE the milk from the heat allow to cool slightly.
- ADD the vanilla extract and stir. Pour this mix onto the flour and gently stir until the batter is combined, smooth and no lumps
- SPRINKLE the top with brown sugar and cocoa powder.
- POUR over the 2 cups of boiling water.
- BAKE the pudding for 25 minutes until fully cooked.
- REST for 5 minutes before serving.
- DELICIOUS with vanilla ice cream
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- Flour – this recipe would work well with 50% buckwheat flour & rice flour or self-raising flour
- Milk – I have made this recipe with oat milk for a vegan chocolate pudding
- Butter – replace for dairy-free butter for a vegan chocolate pudding
- Bake – do not overcook
- Oven – always preheat your oven before baking
- Sugar – to make the sauce even gooier and delicious use dark brown sugar or dark brown muscovado sugar