Spelt Butter Cookies
Are you wondering how to make a simple butter cookie? Then this recipe butter cookie with spelt is super quick and easy to make. Most ingredients you will have in your cupboard, flour, egg, butter, vanilla extract, baking powder and sprinkles.
Have fun dipping this into sprinkles, choc chips, poppy seeds or sesame seeds. I love making this butter cookie with my favourite Craggs & Co white spelt flour but if you don't have spelt flour swap this out for regular flour. This recipe was inspired by landolakes.com.
Takes = 15 mins prep + chill time
Bakes = 6-8 mins
Makes = 28-30 cookies
- Unsalted butter – 110g (about 1/2 cup)
- Caster sugar – 160g (about 3/4 cup)
- Large egg – 1 (52g)
- White Spelt flour – 190g (about 1.5 cups)
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla extract – 1/2 tsp
- Sprinkles, sesame seeds, choc chips or poppy seeds – 2-3 tbsp
- OVEN 200˚c, 180˚C fan, grease and line with baking paper one large or two cookie tray
- BEAT sugar, butter and egg on a medium speed until well combined. Scrape the sides down often.
- ADD all the remaining ingredients except the sprinkles.
- BEAT on low until well combined. Scraping down the sides often.
- CHILL the cookie dough in the fridge for 15-30mins. Or even overnight.
- PLACE the sprinkles or 100's and 1000's in a small bowl or container.
- SCOOP out a small teaspoon and roll into balls.
- DIP the top of the ball into the sprinklesThe original recipe said roll in sprinkles if you want all over sprinkles. Otherwise just dip the top, I preferred just on the top.
- PLACE spaced on a baking tray
- SQUISH and flatten the cookie with the bottom of a glass. (I love this tip they come out so even)
- BAKE for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- COOL completely then store in airtight container at room temperature.