Spelt Bread: no yeast, no knead
I had a request to create a spelt bread recipe without yeast. This spelt bread is an easy no-knead and comes together in one bowl without using an electric mixer. I have used wholegrain spelt flour, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, whole psyllium husk, baking powder, olive oil, liquid sweetener, vinegar, baking soda and a little salt. A perfect bread for toasting. Dense and filling, full or fibre and texture. We love this type of bread for breakfast with coffee. It also freezes well. I slice it thick and pop a few slices in freezer bags then I have bread on hand when I need it.
Takes = 10 minutes
Bakes = 60-80 minutes
- Wholegrain Spelt Flour (or a blend of white and wholegrain) – 500g (3.5 cups)
- Sunflower Seeds – 75g (1/2 cup)
- Pumpkin Seeds – 40g, 1/4 cup
- Whole psyllium husk – 1 tbs
- Ground flax – 1 tb
- Baking powder – 20g (1 tb)
- Salt – 1 ts
- Baking soda, bicarbonate of soda – 1/2 tsp
- Warm water – 450-500g (2.5 cups) use your eye to gauge
- Liquid sweetener, maple syrup (optional) – 1 tb
- Olive oil or Coconut oil – 3 tablespoons
- Vinegar, white or apple cider – 1 tb
- Whisk the flour, seeds, psyllium husk, salt, baking powder and ground flax seeds. Then add in sweetener, water and oil. In a separate bowl or glass add 1 tb vinegar and 1/2 ts of baking soda. Gently mix into the bread dough.
- Grease a loaf tin with butter or oil and line with baking paper leaving it long on the sides to lift out easily.
- Pour into the tin and smooth over the top. Cut through the centre to help release the pressure. Bake starting in a cold oven at 200˚C./ 180˚C fan and add a little ramekin of water to the base of the oven. I like to cover the bread with a tented piece of aluminium foil for the first 35 minutes or slightly longer. After 35 minutes take off the foil and bake for another 35 minutes. Allow to cool for an hour before slicing. Perfect toasted. Also great sliced and frozen for a later date.