I love any kind of flourless cake, and this Italian Torta Caprese Flourless Chocolate Cake doesn't disappoint and perfect to whip up for New Years Eve. It is by far the easiest cake recipe I have made with only 5 ingredients. The ingredients are ground almonds, dark chocolate, butter, sugar, eggs and flavour additions, either a hint of orange zest, marzipan or vanilla extract.
Torta Caprese is originally from the Isle of Capri, Italy hence the name Torta Caprese. The exact origins are unknown, I have read somewhere that it was a cake discovered by accident when the baker left out the flour by mistake.
This Italian flourless chocolate cake can be made with other ground nuts too. Try walnuts, pistachios or hazelnuts.
For ease I usually buy ground almonds but alternatively you could toasted whole almonds then grind for this recipe. I usually love 70% dark chocolate but this is alway delicious for a slightly softer version baked with 50% dark chocolate.
Once cool, dust with icing sugar to serve and I love this with vanilla ice cream and raspberries or fresh strawberries if I have them.
Takes = 15 minutes
Bakes = 30 minutes
Makes = 8 to 10 slices
- Ground almonds – 125 grams, 1 cup (4.4 oz)
- Dark chocolate 50% or 70% (I often use a combination or whatever I have) – 150g
- Unsalted chopped butter – 125 grams (4.4 oz or 1 stick plus 1 tablespoon)
- White sugar –110 grams (1/2 cup)
- Large eggs separated at room temp. – 3
- Extra flavour optional – vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
- Icing sugar to dust before serving
PREHEAT oven 170˚C, fan forced, then grease the base and sides of a 20cm (8 inch) springform round cake tin, and paper line the base only.
GRIND blanched almonds if needed (I often use ground almonds or almond flour). Gently melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a small saucepan of water. Ensure that the water doesn't touch the base of the glass bowl. Allow to cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
COMBINE eggs yolk and sugar and mix for about 5 minutes until smooth. Then pour over the cooled melted chocolate-butter mixture. Fold in the ground almonds until combined.
BEAT egg whites until they are stiff (I used my stand mixer for this). Start slow until it bubbles then increase the speed for about 5 minutes. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate batter.
POUR into the prepared tin and bake for about 30 minutes (be careful not to over-bake). Allow to cool for 30 minutes before removing from the cake tin. Serve with dusted icing sugar or cocoa powder. Serve with vanilla ice cream my favourite or cream if you'd prefer.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- Store at room temperature for 3 to 4 days covered in a container.
- Whole almonds can be used, but grind them using a food processor
- Butter and chocolate could be melted in the microwave 3 x 30 second short bursts.
- Melting the butter/chocolate down; ensure that the heatproof glass bowl does not come in contact with the water, gently boil and do not use too much water. The steam melted the chocolate and butter. If the water hits the bowl when bubbling the mixture could be ruined.