How to Make Spelt Buns
I have finally mastered how to make spelt buns. I love using Spelt flour and I have been perfecting making white spelt burger buns for a while now then I stumbled across this recipe online after a few tweaks and came up with this recipe. The spelt buns are fluffy and light using olive oil, oat milk and an egg yolk for a creamy texture. These spelt buns are perfect for homemade burgers, rolls for lunch or larger-style dinner rolls. They will stay fresh for a few days in a sealed container on the bench. Perfect for freezing for a few months too. This dough recipe I have also used this for a sweet twist bread by adding a little sweet filling to the dough.
Takes = 20 mins (1st prove approx. 60mins, 2nd prove approx. 30 mins)
Bakes = 15-20 mins
Makes = 8 approx (100g each dough ball)
- White Spelt Flour – 500g (3 cups + 1/2 cup + 1 heaped tablespoon)
- Instant Yeast – 1 tsp
- Lukewarm water – 50ml (3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon)
- Lukewarm oat milk (or whole milk) – 250ml (about 1 cup)
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Egg Separated – 1
- Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
- Sesame Seeds
- Flour for dusting
- ADD yeast, sugar and warm water and whisk together then rest for 15 minutes to activate.
- WARM milk slightly and stir in the egg yolk. (white is used for glazing)
- ADD in flour, salt, yeast mix and milky egg mix and gently combine either using your hands or the dough attachment on your stand mixer. Mix for a few minutes then add in the oil.
- ONCE the dough pulls away from the bowl and starts looking clean remove the dough ball with your hands and form a ball. Add a little flour back into the bowl and on top of the dough.
- COVER with plastic wrap or a damp cloth and rest in a warm spot for at least an hour until the dough doubles in size.
- PREHEAT oven 220˚C, 200˚C fan forced, 425˚F, Gas 7.
- PAPER line a baking tray and grease with a little oil, divide the dough into 8 pieces about 100g each and roll into a ball.
- PLACE the dough balls on the baking tray and press down until 2cm thick then glaze the buns with egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cover the buns with plastic or a damp cloth and rest in a warm place for another 30 to 45 minutes.
- BAKE for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Add a small tray of water to the bottom of your oven to create a steam bath in the oven, buns will be extra moist.