Always a crowd-pleaser my moist gluten-free orange and almond cake. So simple with only 5 ingredients ground almonds, whole oranges, sugar, eggs and baking powder. An old recipe that I haven't made in a while. Easy to whip up, simple, light and zingy. I would recommend preparing the oranges the day before you are wanting to bake it. I love this served with ice cream, yoghurt or even plain with a cuppa or coffee.
- Whole oranges – 2
- Ground almonds – 250g / 2.5 cups
- Castor Sugar – 225g / 1 cup
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Eggs – 6
- PREHEAT oven 170˚C Fan / 180˚
- BOIL – whole oranges for 1 hour until soft (I would prepare these the day before)
- COOL – then chop oranges in pieces and remove any seeds.
- PUREE in a blender or food processor with skin on until runny.
- ADD – puree oranges, sugar and eggs into a large bowl and mix
- ADD – ground almonds and baking powder and blend until combined
- POUR – mixture into a prepare 23cm springform cake tin (0r 20cm tin it may take a little longer to bake)
- ADD foil to the base in case of leaks
- BAKE – 45-50mis until golden brown. Check with a skewer
- SPRINKLE with icing sugar and with ice cream, cream or natural yoghurt