Imagine a not-too-sweet melt-in-your-mouth cookie. This is Finnish Stick Cookies called Finska Pinnar in Swedish; a popular butter cookie sold in most bakeries here in Sweden. This is a classic shortbread butter cookie. Sue Maree P style I have changed the traditional recipes and created my recipe with a blend of ground almonds, white spelt flour, and little sugar. There are many recipes using only wheat flour and more sugar. I like the balance of almonds and spelt flour and not too sweet. I have made them both with unsalted and salted butter. Also if you don't have access to bitter almond essence add vanilla essence instead.
History of Finska Pinnar
Finnish sticks are a classic Scandinavian shortbread cookie characterized by its stick shape, and crunchy top, and is eaten a lot during Christmas. From what I have researched online they date back to the 19th century.
Takes = 10 minutes prep. 15-30 minutes chilling in the fridge
Bakes = 10 minutes
Makes = 44-50 small cookies
- Ground almonds – 35g (1/3 cup)
- Bitter almond essence – 1/8 teaspoon
- Sugar – 35g (3 tbsp)
- Butter, softened – 200 g (3/4 cup + 2tbs)
- White Spelt Flour – 250g (1 cup + 1/2 cup) maybe more for rolling
Brushing and decoration
- Egg white whisked – 1
- Chopped almonds – 1 tbs
- Pearl sugar or regular sugar – 1 tbsp
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend for 30-second bursts until combined. If the dough is sticky then transfer to a medium bowl and chill covered in the fridge for up to 30 minutes. Or in a large bowl blend sugar and butter, cut into pieces. Work everything together into a dough with your hands or a fork.
- Roll the dough into finger-thick lengths. Add flour to your hands and bench if sticky. Place them next to each other. Flatten slightly with a large knife so the almonds and sugar don't fall off. Then brush all lengths at once with beaten egg or egg white. Sprinkle chopped almonds and granulated or pearl sugar. Cut the lengths into 4-5 cm long pieces.
- Place the cookies on trays, greased or lined with baking paper.
Bake in the middle of the oven for about 10 minutes at 200˚C/180˚C fan. Check your oven temperature and adjust it if needed. Cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Best left to completely cool, then store in a sealed container.