My buckwheat coffee bread is a delicious gluten free cake to have with your morning coffee or mid-morning cuppa. I challenged myself to bake two loaves, one with espresso coffee and one with a coffee bag. Once baked the difference was hardly detectable. As long as you make the coffee strong then the results will be the same. You could swap out the sugar for a sugar alternative, swap the eggs to make it vegan and add dairy-free butter. We love eating this with our morning espresso toasted with a little butter and chocolate spread for a touch of extra indulgence.
What does it taste like?
Buckwheat flour offers a slightly nutty, earthy flavour giving a more rich and complex taste. When combine with coffee, chocolate or fruit it works well as a loaf cake or bread.
The benefits of buckwheat:
- Naturally gluten free
- Low FOD map
- Low GI & carbs
- Packed full of nutrients - copper, manganese, iron, phosphorus and magnesium
- High in proteins
Although buckwheat is naturally free of gluten, always check the back of the product for the manufacturing ingredients list, as it could be manufactured and exposed to foods containing gluten. Foods made with buckwheat, like soba noodles, may contain other ingredients with gluten.
- Strong Coffee - 50ml 0r 75ml
- Oat Milk (or your preferred milk) - 100ml
- Buckwheat Flour - 200g
- Ground flax seed – 1 tbsp
- Eggs 2
- Ground cinnamon - 1 tsp
- Unsalted butter - 125g
- Castor Sugar - 150g
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp
- Baking Soda - 1 tsp
- Walnuts (roasted for 10 mins & chopped) – 50g
- PREHEAT your oven 170˚C and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- ROAST the walnuts on a lined baking tray for 7-10 mins.
- WHIP the butter and sugar together for 10 minutes until fluffy.
- ADD in the eggs one at a time.
- WHISK – flour, ground flax seed, baking powder +soda and spices until combined.
- ADD slowly to liquid and mix until combined. Don't over mix.
- ADD coffee and milk and mix until combined, don't over mix
- FOLD in chopped walnuts – save at least 6-8 for the top.
- ADD the decorative walnuts to the batter (if you remembered to save some for adding to the top).
- BAKE for 40 minutes in a fan forced oven, check it's ready with a skewer to ensure the middle is cooked.