Buckwheat Blueberry Muffins
My healthy buckwheat blueberry muffins are a great travel snack as it stays moist for days. I love eating these as a breakfast muffin with my espresso coffee. I have made this recipe gluten-free by adding in buckwheat flour but feel free to tweak the recipe to work with whatever flour you prefer or have on hand. I have also included finely chopped fresh apples, ground flax powder and oats, so they add extra fibre and are dairy-free too. If you would like to make them vegan swap out the eggs for flax eggs. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. They are perfect for taking when I travel, as they keep moist for days. Makes 24-30 small muffins.
This recipe makes 24-30 small muffins
- Buckwheat flour – 200g (1 1/3 cup + 1.5 tbsp)
- Vegetable Oil – 250ml (1 cup)
- Eggs – 2
- Gluten-free Rolled Oats (soaked in 3/4 cup boiling water 10mins) – 50g (1/3 cup)
- Blueberries (Fresh or frozen) – 100g (1 cup)
- Brown sugar – 150g (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp)
- Maple Syrup – 63ml (1/4 cup)
- Ground cinnamon – 2
- Ground ginger – 1/2 tsp
- Bicarbonate of soda – 1 tsp
- Ground flax seeds – 2 tbsp
- Chopped Apples – 100g (1 cup or 3 small apples)
- Preheat oven to 180˚ C / Fan-forced 170˚C.
- Add small cupcake/muffin paper liners to your cupcake/muffin trays.
- In a large bowl beat vegetable oil and sugar until mixed. Whisk your eggs, then mix them into the oil and sugar mixture. Now add in the maple syrup and combine.
- In a separate bowl whisk the flour, cinnamon, ginger, flax powder, bicarbonate of soda.
- Fold into the wet ingredients until combined including the oats. Once combined, gently fold in the blueberry and finely diced apples.
- Using a soup spoon to place the batter into prepared tray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool cake in the tin for 10 minutes before removing.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- Flour – swap out buckwheat flour for regular flour or spelt flour
- Vegan – swap out the egg for flax egg, 1/4 cup of mashed banana or 1/4 cup plain yoghurt
- Oil – reduce oil and add 1/2 cup of plant based milk
- Berries – swap out blueberries for raspberries or other fruit
- Sugar – reduce brown sugar and add more maple syrup
- Spice – change the spice to vanilla or mixed spice or citrus zest