What's for dinner? This week I am sharing a delicious new favourite aubergine and buckwheat so simple, nutritious and tastes like it's made in a fancy restaurant. Only 15 minutes to prepare and bake for 45 minutes then dinner is ready. Roasted aubergine then topped with a warm buckwheat salad. Prepare the buckwheat ahead of time for an easy mid-week dinner.
Buckwheat is delicious in salads and an easy to digest source of protein.
Takes = 15 minutes prep. (with cooked buckwheat)
Bakes = 45 minutes
Makes = 4 serves
Inspired by = M&S buckwheat packet recipes
- Aubergines halved and scored – 2
- Rose Harissa Paste – 2 tbsp
- Red Onion – 2 small roasted
- Buckwheat grain – 100g (1/2 cup)
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Chopped sultanas or currants – 30g
- One lemon juiced (or 1/2 lemon and a splash of rice vinegar)
- Chilli flakes – 1/4 to 1/2 tsp (depends on your spiciness)
- Soft cheese to top off like goats, feta or mozzarella (leave off for vegan) – 30g
- Fresh herbs if you have them like dill or parsley
- Toasted seeds and nuts – I love pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, pine nuts and or walnuts
OVEN preheat to 200˚C, Gas 6. Line a large baking tray.
Rub the harissa paste over the cut aubergine and onions then roast in the hot oven for 35 mins, cut side up.
HOW TO PREPARE THE BUCKWHEAT GRAIN: boil 500ml of water in a medium saucepan and add a pinch of salt, once boiling add rinsed buckwheat grain to water and simmer for about 15 minutes. Cover and rest for 10 minutes, there should be no water left. If there is drain and leave to one side. If it looks a little mushy, spread it on a lined baking tray and pop in the oven for 10-15 minutes to dry out.
TOSS lemon juice, vinegar, warm buckwheat, chopped sultanas or currants, toasted chopped walnuts and seeds, chilli flakes, half of the onions and fresh herbs if using (leave some for the top) in a salad bowl. Serve on top of the baked aubergine and sprinkle with cheese, roasted onions, toasted nuts and seeds and fresh dill or parsley. I love this with roasted paprika and cumin carrots.