A classic Swedish Christmas favourite on the Julbord or Christmas table is a temptation, even for vegans and vegetarians.
I thought why not make a vegetarian Jansson's Frestele (temptation) this Christmas? This potato bake is usually made with anchovies, however, I don't care for these little fish and wanted to try a vegan version to share with my viewers.
This Jansson Frestelse is a delicious recipe made with capers, spice and sunflower seeds. It looks impressive for your Christmas buffet and is fairly easy to make.
In this recipe, the cream and milk are replaced with oat cream and oat milk. This recipe has added spices, but if they don't appeal leave them out, I love the addition of the spices. It spiced the potato dish up!
Can be frozen to make it ahead of time and defrosted and heated up the following day.
Pronouced – Janssons (yann-sons) Frestelse (fres-tel-say)
Inspired and translated from this recipe: https://www.ica.se/recept/vegansk-janssons-frestelse-722919/ and halved to make 4 serves.
Ingredients for 4 (double for 8)
- Brown onion, sliced – 1
- Butter or margarine (vegan if preferred) – 1 tablespoon
- Capers – 2 tablespoons (optional)
- Sunflower seeds – 25g (about 3 tablespoons)
- Potatoes, peeled and matchstick sliced – 500g
- Cream, I used oat – 250ml (about 1 cup)
- Milk, I used oat – 75ml (about 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon)
- Ground cloves – 1/4 teaspoon
- Ground cinnamon – 1/8 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper – 1/4 ts
- Breadcrumbs – 25g (about 1.5 tablespoons)
- Butter (or vegan) – 1.5 tablespoons
- Preheat the oven to 200°C /180˚C fan.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion. Fry it soft in the butter or margarine and stir in the capers and sunflower seeds, let fry for a minute.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into fine strips like thick match sticks. Alternate the potatoes with the onion slicer in an ovenproof dish of about 3 layers.
- Mix oat cream and oat milk with the spices in a jug then pour over the potatoes. Sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and a few dabs of butter or margarine. Bake in the lower part of the oven for about 50-60 minutes. Keep an eye on not to over brown, you could cover it with foil after 30 minutes. Rest for 5 minutes before serving.