This beautiful Swedish-style bundt cake is to share for a special occasion. A Swedish recipe I discovered on various blogs, baked in many Scandi countries, this cake has a similar texture to a classic pound cake; with a fine crumb and slight tang from the yoghurt. This simple cake is perfect drizzled with berries on top.
Sue Maree P style, I adapted my recipe to use spelt flour, Greek yoghurt instead of sour cream, slightly less sugar, and extra spice. Try this spelt cake recipe next time you are after an impressive-looking celebration cake to impress your friends and family.
Takes = 20 minutes prep.
Bakes = 55-60 minutes
Makes = 16 slices
- White Spelt flour (or your choice) – 400g (3+1/2 cup + 1 tb)
- Baking powder – 2 ts
- Cardamom – 2 ts
- Cinnamon – 1 ts
- White Sugar – 220g (heaped 1 cup)
- Butter, soft at room temp. – 250g (2 sticks or 1 cup)
- Large eggs – 2
- Greek or natural yoghurt – 300g (1 + 3/4 cup)
- Powdered sugar for servings
- Preheat oven to 180˚C/ 160˚C fan.
- Cream the butter and sugar for 3-5 minutes. Using a pastry brush add a generous amount of butter to a large bundt tin, and dust with a little flour.
- In a separate bowl sift flour, baking powder and spices.
- Add in eggs one at a time to the creamed butter mix and do 2 x quick 30 sec mixes. Then add in the flour, a little at a time alternating with the yoghurt. Mixing for 30 seconds in between. The final mix increase the speed but don't mix for longer than 60 seconds. Remember to scrape the sides and bottom as you go. Don't worry if your cake batter is thick, this is correct. Scoop out and smooth the top over in your bundt tin.
- Bake for 55 minutes in the lower part of the oven. If needed cover with foil after 35 minutes. I place my bundt tin on a baking tray to make it easier to get in and out of the oven. Cool for 10 minutes before removing. It is best to allow the cake to cool before serving. Dust with a simple veil of powdered sugar and fresh berries with a little vanilla ice cream, cream or cream Fraiche.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- For flavouring add in grated lemon, lime or orange zest.
- Swap yoghurt for sour cream.
- Make sure you grease and flour the budt tin very well.
- If you don't have a bundt or ring tin, you could use a 23cm round tin.