Swedish almond mini cakes are called mazarinkakka. These simple almond cakes are a delicious moist gluten-free/ flourless mini cake; perfect for afternoon tea or fika. The recipe is made using ground almonds, sugar, milk, and eggs and I used vanilla instead of almond extract as I didn't have that. Then if you desire roll in a spiced sugar coating. This is optional they do taste great on their own. I have made them rolling in ground black cardamom seed sugar mixture but for my video, I wanted to make this recipe more universal and made a blend of ground cardamom and cinnamon sugar mix.
This recipe idea was originally inspired by a mini cake I ate recently at a cafe in Gothenburg. I tried to find a version of it online and I found this recipe and adapted it slightly to suit my taste and make it easier for my viewers. https://foodandjourneys.net/swedish-almond-cardamom-mini-cakes/
Takes = 10 minutes
Bakes = 20 minutes
Makes = 12 mini cakes
- Ground almonds (almond meal) – 150g (1+1/4 cups)
- White sugar – 100g (1/2 cup)
- Milk, I used soya or your choice – 3-4 tablespoons
- Butter, soft (salted or unsalted) – 80g (5.5 tablespoons)
- Vanilla extract (instead of almond essence) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Eggs – 2
Sugar Coating 3
- Ground cardamom seeds or ground cardamom – 2-3 ts
- Ground cinnamon – 1-2 teaspoon
- Sugar – 6 tablespoon
- Preheat oven to 180˚C fan. Then grease your cupcake or muffin tin generously with butter.
- Grind cardamom seeds if using seeds. Add to a small bowl then stir in 6 tablespoons of white sugar and spices. Set aside. This is the coating for later.
- Add ground almonds, sugars and milk to a food processor, blender or mixer and blend until you have a paste-like texture. Add eggs, butter, vanilla, or almond extract and blend until smooth.
- Scoop out one spoonful I used a soup spoon of batter so the level is only halfway. This recipe should make about 12 mini cakes.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and roll in the sugar cardamom and cinnamon coating. You will have cinnamon sugar left over, but I have tried with less sugar mix and it didn't coat as well.
- Once cool store in a sealed container. These cakes taste even better the following day.