Spicy lentil and quinoa stir fry made in one pot is a healthy dinner idea that is ready to eat in 20 minutes. Adjust the spice to taste. I love quinoa as it high in protein, gluten-free versatile to add to dishes instead of rice or pasta.
Are you searching for a great healthy recipe that is a super easy beginner to follow? Or are you looking for a vegan weight loss recipe? A Sue Maree P healthy dinner idea is perfect for anyone joining in Veganuary and wanting a deliciously spicy, tasty vegan-friendly recipe. Super low cost and a great healthy recipe for anyone cooking on a budget. A great student go-to recipe. A meatless recipe that is so flexible you can swap and change to add any vegetables that you have on hand. I have made this with brown rice; it also tastes delicious.
What is Quinoa? Pronounced keen-wah and not quin-noh-a (as I did for many years). Is Quinoa a grain? No, it is what's called a pseudo-grain. It is a seed that looks like couscous but prepared like rice. Quinoa is now considered one of the world's most popular superfoods due to its high nutritional content. It once was an important crop for the ancient Inca empire in South America. It comes in three colours - white, black and red, however, I always cook the white variety. The health benefits of eating quinoa:
- Naturally gluten-free - perfect for gluten intolerance
- High in protein - excellent protein source for vegans and vegetarians
- Low glycemic index
- Includes important minerals like iron and magnesium
- High in fibre and antioxidants helpful if you are trying to improve your health
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic chopped or minced
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp smokey chipotle fajita and taco mix
- 1 medium courgette thinly sliced and halved if too big
- 1 pepper red or yellow thinly sliced (optional)
- 3 tbsp tomato passata
- 400g can of lentils drained and rinsed
- sprinkle of salt
- some water if too dry
- 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa
- chipotle, black sesame seeds, coriander or parsley to garnish at the end
- Rinse the quinoa and bring to boil with sufficient water to cover the quinoa by approximately 2cm, then simmer for 13 minutes. Once cooked pop the lid on and set aside for another 13 minutes, until needed.
- Stir fry onion until slightly soft, add chopped garlic and fry for a few minutes
- Add spices and thinly sliced pepper if using.
- Then stir in the drained and rinsed lentils, passata and more water if too dry.
- Mix in the 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa (add more if you are cooking for 4)
- Garnish with coriander, chipotle and sesame seeds.