Spiced Fig and Walnut Spelt Bread
Spiced fig and walnut spelt bread is scrumptious toasted with butter and a little cheddar cheese or jam. This spiced spelt bread is quick to make using instant dried yeast, warm water, a combination of wholegrain spelt and white spelt flour, a hint of cinnamon and mixed spice, sweetened with a little honey which balances well with the dried figs and walnuts. I also add a drizzle of olive oil to the spelt dough for additional hydration. Set aside 2 hours to make and bake this delicious spiced fig and walnut spelt bread and you will not be disappointed.
Takes = 10 mins prep + 90 mins resting + 30 mins cooling
Bakes = 25-30 mins
Makes = 1 large loaf
- Wholegrain Spelt Flour– 400g (2 cups + 2/3)
- White Spelt Flour – 100g (3/4 cup)
- Lukewarm water – 350ml (1 cup + 1/3 + 1tbsp +1 tsp)
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Instant Dried yeast – 1 x 7g packet
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Salt – 10g (1 heaped tsp)
- Ground cinnamon – 2 tsp
- Mixed Spice – 1 tsp
- Chopped Dried Figs – 120g (1 cup)
- Toasted Walnuts – 100g (1 cup)
- ADD instant dried yeast, honey, 350ml warm water.
- WHISK spices, flours and salt in a large separate bowl.
- POUR the yeast water into the stand mixer slowly and using the dough hook knead for about 8-1o minutes or if mixing by hand combine until it forms a ball, this might take 10 minutes. It will be ready when the dough is pulling away from the sides.
- REST the dough covered for 1 hour to double in size. (the time needed depends on your room's temperature, if your room is warm it should be ready in an hour). Also in winter it may take longer than in the summer months.
- ADD toasted chopped walnuts and chopped figs and knead to ensure these are both fully blended.
- PLACE the dough in a large loaf tin 900g (2 lb) and cover with plastic or a damp tea towel for another 30-40 minutes.
- BAKE in a preheated oven at 200˚C Fan / 220˚C
- ADD a cup of water to a baking tray on a lower shelf, this helps creates steam in the oven, that ensure you have a thin crust and soft centre.
- BAKE the bread for 25 minutes.
- REST for 30 minutes before slicing. Enjoy fresh or toasted. We love this bread toasted with cheese.