A new recipe for spelt dinner rolls topped with poppy seeds made without dairy or eggs. I was curious to see if I could make soft spelt rolls without adding any eggs or butter. And yes, these spelt poppy seeds rolls are just that soft, fluffy and they stay soft for a few days. Baked in a round tin this creates a soft roll and the shape reminds me of a flower. Or if you'd prefer leave the spelt rolls plain. These rolls are still soft the following day and the day after that. If you have any left they will also freeze well. I added poppy seeds to the top but feel free to keep them plain or add sesame seeds.
Takes = prep. 20 minutes, resting time 1 hour 25 minutes
Makes = 8 rolls, 20cm cake tin
Bakes = 20 minutes
- Warm water – 300g
- Dried yeast – 7g (2 ts)
- Liquid sweetener (or sugar) – 1 tbs
- Wholegrain spelt flour – 250g (1.5 cups)
- White spelt flour – 225g (1.5 cups)
- Salt – 7g (1 ts)
- Olive oil – 2 tbs
- Poppy seeds – 2 ts
- Add yeast and sweetener to warm water stir and rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Whisk the flour and salt together, then pour in the yeast mixture and knead for a few minutes. Add in the olive oil and knead for up to 5 minutes until the dough is smooth. Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover and rest for 45 to 60 minutes until doubled in size. When I transfer my dough to a medium glass bowl, I can see easily how it has doubled.
- Grease with butter and round 20cm cake tin. Preheat your oven for 15 minutes before baking at 220˚C, 200˚C fan forced.
- Once doubled, remove the dough from the bowl and place it onto a floured bench. I like using rice flour. Divide into 8 pieces about 100-110g each, then stretch and roll into a ball. Place into the prepared baking tin starting on the outside, stack the dough balls close together then leave one for the centre. Rest again covered for 40 minutes. Then brush the dough gently with water and sprinkle poppy seeds or sesame seeds on the top.
- Bake in the warm oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Place a tin of hot water at the base of the oven to create steam and this with ensure you have moist rolls. Allow the bread rolls to cool in the tin before removing them.