Spelt Persian Love Cupcakes
My pretty mini spelt Persian love cakes are revived from my large recipe in an easy to share size, with a little bit of love in just a few bites. Delicious, moist centre with flavours of almond, orange, the hint of rose with a touch of exotic spices of cardamom and cinnamon.
I reworked my original recipe released for Valentine's Day 2020 into an easy-to-share and quick-to-make this cupcake version. The cupcakes take approximately 20 minutes to prep. and only need 20 minutes to bake. This recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
What's The Story Behind the Persian Love Cake?
A woman once baked a Persian Love Cake to charm a Persian Prince to fall in love with her. The cake is meant to be enchanted, with love in every bite. I discussed the history of Persian Love Cake with my Persian friend and she had never heard of the cake. So perhaps the legend is false, the women's baking was so bad that the Prince didn't fall for her at all. Who knows? Maybe the Prince fell in love with someone else. If you bake this Persian Love Cake I can guarantee that you will fall in love with the taste of this cake and maybe a Prince if you're lucky.
Takes = 10 minutes
Bakes = 20 minutes
Makes = 12 cupcakes
- Spelt flour – 150g
- Unsalted butter –125g
- Caster sugar – 150g
- Baking powder – 3/4 tsp
- Ground cardamom* – 3/4 tsp
- Ground cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Eggs – 2
- Greek/ Natural yoghurt – 75g
- Ground almonds – 55g
- Zest of orange – 1 tsp
- Juice of an orange – 1 tbsp
- Rosewater – 1 tsp
*if you find it difficult to buy cardamom replace both spices with 1 3/4 tsp of mixed spice.
- Sifted powder sugar – 50g
- Mascarpone or cream cheese – 50g
- Orange juice – 1/2 tsp
- Rosewater – 1/4 tsp
- Chopped pistachios– 1-2 tsp
- Crushed edible rose petals – 1 tsp
- PREHEAT – oven 160˚C fan, 180˚C.
- GREASE your muffin tray with butter or similar
- WHIP – sugar and butter until light and creamy
- ADD – eggs, yoghurt, orange zest and juice and blend until combine
- WHISK in a separate bowl the flour, spices, baking powder and ground almonds
- FOLD in the flour mix
- SPOON into greased muffin tray
- BAKE for 20-25mins until golden
- COOL before adding icing
- MIX – sifted icing sugar, cream cheese, juice and rose water
- SPOON a small amount onto the centre of the cooled cake, the icing should be thick to create a pooled effect
- SPRINKLE with chopped nuts and petals