Spelt orange poppy seed muffins are not too sweet, zingy, moist and delicious.
If you are not into spelt flour, this orange poppy seed muffin recipe is easily adaptable to add your choice of flour. This muffin recipe is a 'one bowl, quick mix, quick bake' ready in 35 minutes from start to finish. In my video, I used a combination of white spelt flour and wholegrain spelt to make them a little healthier. Feel free to make this muffin recipe with your favourite flour or what you hand in your cupboard. If you'd like to use self-raising flour (the UK and Aust.) please omit the baking powder.
These spelt orange poppy seeds muffins are not only fluffy and moist on the first day but stay moist for a few days.
Takes = 15 minutes
Bakes = 20 minutes
Makes = 12
- White Spelt Flour (or your choice) – 100g (about 3/4 cup)
- Wholegrain Spelt Flour (or your choice) – 100g (3/4 cup)
- Baking powder – 2 tsp
- Caster Sugar (or coconut sugar works well too) – 150g (3/4 cup)
- Poppy Seeds – 40g (1/4 cup)
- Oat Milk (or normal milk) – 60ml (1/4 cup)
- Greek Yoghurt – 125g (1/2 cup)
- Large Eggs beaten – 2
- Cooled melted butter (or oil) – 90ml (1/3 cup + 2 tsp)
- Orange juice (1/2 large orange approx.) – 60ml (1/4 cup)
- Zest of one orange – approx. 3 tsp
PREHEAT oven to 180˚C fan. Prepare your muffin tray, either grease or add paper cases.
WHISK all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Flour, baking powder and sugar, then set aside.
COMBINE all wet ingredients in a jug or small bowl. Yoghurt, milk, beaten eggs and cooled melted butter.
MAKE well in the centre of the dry mix, pour in the wet ingredients and gently combine but do not mix. Fold in poppy seeds, then add zest and juice. Gently stir to combine.
SCOOP and fill 3/4 to the top of each paper case. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and a skewer or tooth pick comes out clean.