These spelt banana muffins are moist, light and quick only 10 mins to prep and 20 mins to bake. If you are searching for a recipe on how to make banana muffins with spelt flour, then this easy muffins recipe for any beginner bakers to follow; no fancy equipment is required. This muffin recipe is easy to adapt to a vegan banana muffin recipe by swapping the egg for 1/4 cup of yoghurt or apple puree. Spelt flour muffins can be bake with regular flour or even buckwheat flour. The flavour is almost like a banana bread recipe but in a muffin.
This recipe is also flexible enough to use any fruit instead of bananas.
If you would prefer to use regular flour swap out the spelt flour, or if you have access to self-raising flour, feel free to use that and leave our the baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Mashed banana – 450g (4 small)
- Spelt flour – 150g (1 cup)
- Light brown sugar – 120g (1/2 cup)
- Large egg – 1
- Sunflower oil (or your preferred oil) – 60ml (1/4 cup)
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Bi Carbonate of Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Ground cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Pinch salt
- PREHEAT oven 170˚C fan, 190˚C
- GREASE or paper line 12 cup muffin tray
- MASH the banana with a fork and set aside
- SIFT flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine all the ingredients
- ADD sugar to flour
- MIX egg and oil together
- COMBINE the wet ingredients with the banana and stir gently
- COMBINE the dry ingredients to the banana mix and stir gently until all the flour is fully mixed
- SCOOP using a small ice cream scoop a large portion into your greased muffin tray.
- BAKE in your preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and cooked in the centre.
- COOL for a few minutes before removing from the tray. You may need to use a silicone spatula to gently help release the muffin from the tray.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- Flour – swap out spelt flour for regular flour or use self-raising flour and leave out the baking powder and bicarb soda.
- Vegan – leave the egg out and add either 1/4 cup of plain yoghurt or 1/4 cup apple puree
- Natural sugar – use maple syrup or agave syrup
- Oil – swap and use coconut oil instead
- Always bake on the middle shelf in a preheated oven
- Why did my muffins not rise? The oven may not have been hot enough. Also be careful not to open the oven door while baking.