This Spelt Zucchini or courgette cake is super moist, almost like a carrot cake but with courgette (zucchini).
What? Zucchini bread instead of banana bread. Once you have tried this recipe I am sure that you will go back and bake this again and again.
The texture of this spelt zucchini bread is made moist with the grated zucchini (courgette) as well as dark brown sugar, a hint of cinnamon, a touch of mixed spice and almonds.
Don't be scared to try this bread instead of your regular banana bread. It is a great way to use up any excess zucchini's or courgette that may have gone a little limp in your refrigerator. I love this as a quick breakfast with a coffee. Super quick to make and you can't even taste the zucchini.
Can I use regular flour instead of spelt flour?
Yes, I always create my recipes so they a versatile and you can swap out the flour. You could even try this spelt recipe with buckwheat flour, oat flour or a combination of your favourite flours.
Why do I always measure with kitchen scales?
I have had lots of requests for cups and spoon measurements. As they are different all over the world these approximate measures but for this style of cake, it will be fine. I would strongly recommend if you are a serious baker to invest in a set of scales. You will be able to reproduce your masterpieces perfectly every time.
- White Spelt (or plain) flour sifted – 240g (about 2 cups)
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Ground cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Mixed spice – 1 tsp
- Dark Brown Sugar – 150g (just under a cup)
- Grated Zucchini (courgette) – 250g / 2-3 medium
- Vegetable or sunflower oil – 120ml (about 1/2 cup)
- Roasted and chopped almonds or walnuts – 75g (about 1/2 cup)
- Eggs – 2
- PREHEAT oven to 170˚C fan / 190˚C
- PREPARE your small loaf tin (11cm x 22cm) grease with butter and line with baking paper.
- SIFT flour, spices, baking soda and powder together then whisk in a large bowl and set aside.
- MIX sugar and eggs in a separate bowl. Either use a whisk or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- ADD in oil and combine.
- ADD in flour mix 1/2 half at a time and combine until mixed but do not over beat.
- ADD courgette and nuts but only mix until incorporated.
- POUR into your prepared loaf tin.
- BAKE – 40-50mins
- SERVE warm with butter. Delicious for breakfast with a a coffee.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- FLOUR – in this recipe I used white spelt flour, but you could also use wholegrain spelt flour.