Almost like a carrot cake but with courgette (zucchini) moist with dark brown sugar, a touch of cinnamon, mixed spice and almonds. An easy cake to make – I love this as a quick breakfast with a coffee. Super quick to make and you can't even taste the zucchini.
I have had lots of requests for cups and spoon measurements. As they are different all over the world these approximate measures but for this style of cake, it will be fine. I would strongly recommend if you are a serious baker to invest in a set of scales. You will be able to reproduce your masterpieces perfectly every time.
- Spelt (or plain) flour sifted – 240g (about 2 cups)
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Ground cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Mixed spice – 1 tsp
- Dark Brown Sugar – 150g (just under a cup)
- Grated Zucchini (courgette) – 250g / 2-3 medium
- Vegetable or sunflower oil – 120ml (about 1/2 cup)
- Roasted and chopped almonds or walnuts – 75g (about 1/2 cup)
- Eggs – 2
- PREHEAT oven to 170˚C fan / 190˚C
- PREPARE you small loaf tin (11cm x 22cm) grease with butter and line with baking paper.
- SIFT flour, spices, baking soda and powder together then whisk in a large bowl and set aside.
- MIX sugar and eggs in a separate bowl. Either use a whisk or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- ADD in oil and combine.
- ADD in flour mix 1/2 half at a time and combine until mixed but do not over beat.
- ADD courgette and nuts but only mix until incorporated.
- POUR into your prepared loaf tin.
- BAKE – 40-50mins
- SERVE warm with butter. Delicious for breakfast with a a coffee.