When you want something a little special for breakfast, then try spelt chocolate pancakes topped with a rich chocolate sauce, raspberries and for fun chocolate Easter eggs. This is my very popular fluffy spelt flour pancake recipe with the addition of cocoa powder, chocolate chips and a little sugar.
If you are looking for an extra chocolate treat for the weekend or holidays try my chocolate spelt flour fluffy pancakes.
Why Spelt Flour?
Spelt flour is a good source of fibre and protein and great slightly healthy alternative flour to wheat flour as it can be easier to digest. The texture is light and airy and bakes very similar to wheat flour therefore it can be substituted in baking cakes, cookies and pancakes.
Takes = 15-20 minutes
Makes = about 9 small pancakes
- White Spelt flour – 140g (about 1 cup)
- Cocoa powder – 30g (about 2 tbsp)
- Oat milk (or regular) – 200 to 250ml (about 1 cup to taste)
- Large egg – 1
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) – 1/2 tsp
- Milk chocolate chips – 1/4 cup
- Sugar (optional) – 2 tsp
- Dark chocolate finely chopped – 35g
- Milk chocolate finely chocolate – 35g
- Cream – 60ml
- HEAT – non stick pan, brush lightly with oil or melted butter, smooth off with paper towel.
- WHISK – spelt flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and sugar in a medium bowl.
- MIX in the milk and egg until smooth. Then fold in the milk chocolate chips.
- TRANSFER mixture to a pouring jug (if you had one)
- POUR – approx. 1/4 cup or large spoonful of batter, depending on the size you like
- COOK – one side 2-3 mins, once bubbles appear, then flip. Should be golden brown, turn the pan down if cooking too fast.
- FLIP – cook second side for approx, 1 min, this side will be faster.
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE – gently simmer cream for a few minutes. Remove from the heat then add in the finely chopped chocolate and stir until melted and the sauce is thick.
- TO SERVE A 3 STACK– place one pancake on a plate, layer with a few tablespoons of chocolate sauce, stack another pancake and repeat with chocolate sauce, then another pancake and finish with chocolate sauce a scattering of raspberries and top with a few Easter eggs for fun.