Moist soft, fudgy truffle-like spelt chocolate cookies are a perfect treat for coffee or dessert. These spelt chocolate fudge cookies could be made with regular flour, buckwheat flour or your preferred alternative flour. Easy to make and no mixer is needed. This chocolate cookies recipe includes only simple ingredients that you can make with what you have in your cupboard. A small amount of butter, one egg, cocoa, baking powder, a touch of salt, dark brown sugar, castor sugar and spelt flour and finished off with a dusting of icing sugar.
This recipe is also perfect for vegan chocolate cookies, see my tips below on how to adapt the recipe for a vegan chocolate cookie.
- White Spelt Flour sifted – 110g (3/4 cup)
- Cocoa powder – 40g (1/2 cup)
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Castor sugar – 90g (just under 1/2 cup)
- Dark Brown sugar – 50g (1/4 cup)
- Unsalted butter – 25g ( almost 2 tablespoons)
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Large egg – 1
- PREHEAT oven 170˚C fan or 180˚C
- LINE 2-3 baking trays with baking paper
- SIFT flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder in a large bowl
- STIR in both sugars and using your fingertips rub in the butter
- BEAT egg and then add the vanilla
- STIR in the egg and vanilla and mix into the cookie dough
- WRAP the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30-40 minutes
- REMOVE from the refrigerator and remove the plastic, using a teaspoon scoop of a walnut size dough piece and roll it between your hands to form a ball. Press the top of the ball slightly to make it flat. Repeat until all the dough is used. Space out on the tray, the dough will make around 16-20 small bite-sized cookies.
- DUST with a little icing sugar before baking
- BAKE for 10 minutes in your hot oven
- ONCE cooked remove and rest for 10 minutes before eating
- SPRINKLE with a little more icing sugar to serve if desired
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- VEGAN – replace the butter for non-dairy butter. Make a flax egg from 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water – chill for 10 mins in the refrigerator
- COFFEE – you may like to add 15ml shot of espresso coffee instead of vanilla extract. I did this for my vegan cookies and they tasted amazing!
- FLOUR – this recipe also works with regular white flour
- GLUTEN-FREE recipes try using a gluten-free buckwheat flour.