My recipe for spelt flour baguettes is ready to eat in just 2 hours. The outside has a soft crunch that's easy to eat. This is my preferred style of baguette. This is made with white spelt flour, no eggs and no milk, quick dry yeast, warm water, a little salt sugar and olive oil. After a request from a viewer for spelt baguettes I tested this recipe a number of times the first time I added an egg like my popular spelt bun recipe, the next few times I made this without an egg and they turned out just as good. I thought I would share the egg-free version to suit my viewers who don't eat eggs. If you'd prefer an enriched dough made with adding an egg feel free, you may need to add a little extra flour.
These rolls are delicious fresh as sandwiches, toasted or sliced baked as garlic bread.
Make time = 10 minutes plus shaping
Rest = 30 minutes + 10 minutes + 30 minutes
Bakes = 20 minutes
Makes = 3 or 4 long baguettes
- White spelt flour, or your choice – 350g
- Dry yeast – 1 teaspoon
- White sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Fine salt – 1 teaspoon
- Warm water – 200g
- Olive oil – 2 tbs
- Egg wash – optional
- Using a large bowl or stand mixer combine all ingredients until smooth.
- Transfer to an oiled bowl then cover with plastic wrap or a cloth and rest for 30 minutes in a warm spot.
- Remove and divide the dough into 4 pieces. About 220g - 250g per piece. Flatten and stretch and shape into a flat ball. Rest covered with a large bowl or cloth for 10 minutes.
- Final shaping into a baguette. Flatten into a rectangle or rough oval and release any bubbles. Fold over half into the centre towards you using your thumb and heel of your hand (the base of your hand), turn and repeat, turn and repeat. Place the seam on the bottom, then gently roll from the centre until smooth and a little longer gently roll until smooth from the centre and to lengthen the dough as you roll taper the ends slightly.
- Place on a lined baking tray long way. Cover and rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven 10 minutes before baking. I set my oven to 200˚C fan.
- You can gently brush with an egg wash now. Then slit the top of the dough on a diagonal with a razor blade or sharp knife before baking.
- Place a tray of water in the base or a small ramekin of water. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Cool slightly before eating.
- Store in the freezer once cooled or in an airtight container for 2-3 days at room temperature. If you live in a warm climate or your home is humid store in the fridge.