I wanted to make a quick and easy sheet pan pizza to eat in a hurry. This simple pizza made from scratch is an easy Friday Pizza night treat. I made this recipe from my spelt focaccia recipe and turned it into the Roman style or grandma sheet pan pizza. No need for any fancy pizza trays or pizza stones. Baked in the oven for 20 minutes 0n a simple cookie tray. This pizza is a soft base, for a crispier base bake the dough for 10 minutes before adding the topping then bake again for another 10-15 minutes.
Takes Prep. = 10 minutes, rest 30mins + 10mins
Bakes = 20 to 25 mins
Makes = 6-8 large slices
- White Spelt Flour – 500g (about 3 cups + 2/3 cup)
- Dried Yeast – 7g (2 tsp)
- Lukewarm water – 300ml (about 1 cup + 1/4 cup)
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Olive Oil – 3 tbsp
- Polenta or semolina for the tray – sprinkle
- MIX flour, yeast and water in a large mixing bowl. I use my KA stand mixer with the dough hook attachment but you can use a large bowl and mix with your hands or a wooden spoon for a few minutes until shaggy. Add salt and olive oil. Add more water if needed. Knead for about 5 minutes until the is smooth, sticky and elastic. It should spring back when poked. Then cover and rest for 30 minutes.
- PREHEAT oven to 220˚C, 200˚C fan, Gas 6 and prepare your baking tray 29cm x 35cm with a drizzle of oil and a sprinkle of polenta or flour to stop the pizza from sticking to your baking tray.
- Remove the dough, place it on the prepared tray, and shape it into the corners. Rest for 10 minutes covered.
- Stretch again if needed into the corners. Add toppings, then bake for 20 minutes, until golden.
- Cut with scissors in the tray. This style of pizza is even good served cold or reheat the following day.