Vegetarian burritos are a quick and easy lunch or dinner idea. This homemade burrito recipe is made when I am in a hurry and using what I have in the fridge/freezer. These are so tasty and easier to make when you're in a hurry. This recipe can be adapted to suit what you have in the kitchen. We love a little spicy mushroom and both edamame beans and green lentils for protein. Serve them with a little cooked rice, and cheese and wrap them in a piece of soft tortilla bread.
Takes = 20 minutes
Makes = 2/3 serves
- Mushrooms washed and chopped – 75g (1 cup)
- Onions, sliced and chopped – 1/2 small
- Crushed garlic – 2 small cloves
- Taco/ Fajita mix – 18g packet, about 2.5 tablespoon
- Crushed tomatoes* – 120g, 1/2 cup
- Zucchini, finely chopped – 1 cup
- Edamame beans, defrosted – 1/2 cup
- Green lentils, black beans, white beans – 1/2 cup
- Chilli flakes to taste
- Fine salt –1/8 teaspoon
- Medium corn/wheat soft tortilla
- Cooked rice (optional)
- Grated Cheddar Cheese, or similar
- Salsa (optional)
- Lemon or lime juice
- Saute onions and chopped zucchini and mushrooms for about 5 minutes until very soft, then add in crushed garlic and cook through for a minute. Add in the Mexican spice mix, tomatoes, lentils or black beans, salt and extra chilli flakes if you want it slightly spicier.
- Serve the burrito mix with a medium soft tortilla and grated cheese and avocado if you have it.
Sue Maree P Cooking Tips
- Tomatoes – when tomatoes are in season I use about 6-8 chopped cherry tomatoes instead of canned tomatoes and add a 1/4 cup of water.
- Mexican spice mix – I have my homemade recipe here if you would prefer to make your own spice mix from scratch.
- Vegetables – this recipe changes depending on what I have in my fridge. If I don't have zucchini, I will add in some frozen spinach, you can be creative and add whatever vegetables you have or like. I prefer the vegetable to be cut small as the texture is better to munch into when you bite the burrito.