An Australian Women's Weekly recipe for no-bake lemon slice. A great no bake lemon slice recipe to make as a treat when the weather is too hot to turn the oven on. Only 5 ingredients; crushed biscuits (here in the UK I love McVities plain Digestives), lemon, condensed milk, butter and icing sugar, this easy slice reminds me of being a child in Australia.
Takes = 15 minutes plus chill time
Makes = 18-20 small squares
- Crushed McVities Digestive Biscuits (Graham Crackers USA) – 250g
- Unsalted butter – 90g (about 1/3 cup)
- Condensed milk – 175 ml / 1/2 can condensed milk
- Fresh lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Zest of a lemon – 1 tsp
- Sifted icing sugar – 200g (2 cups sifted)
- Unsalted butter – 30g (about 2 tbsp)
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- GREASE and paper line a square (23x23cm) or rectangular slice tray (29x19cm). Extend the baking paper 5cm over 2 sides for easy lifting.
- GRIND (process) 200g (about 13 digestive biscuits) of the biscuits until they are fine. Break up the remaining biscuits (about 4) coarsely, I do this with my hands as they are soft enough. Or smash all the biscuits in a plastic bag by hand or with a rolling pin.
- MELT butter in a small saucepan, then add condensed milk, zest and juice and simmer for about 1 minute.
- POUR the butter mix over the biscuits in a medium bowl and stir.
- PRESS mixture into your prepare tray with your fingers and press down into the edges with a fork and chill in the fridge for at least 20 minutes or until firm while you prepare the lemon icing.
- ICING – whip butter all ingredients until smooth.
- SPREAD the icing over the slice and chill until set. Ideally overnight
- CUT into squares.
- STORE in the fridge in a sealed container, the slice should last for about 5 days, if you can be good and not eat it all within the first few days.