Moist and light spelt chocolate cupcakes recipe two ways. One recipe made with eggs and regular sugar the other recipe made with coconut sugar and no eggs, so it is a vegan chocolate cupcake recipe with no refined sugar. These are the easiest chocolate cupcakes I have ever made. Topped with a smooth chocolate frosting using either butter or non-dairy butter.
Whip them up in no time, a favourite amongst my friends.
Inspired by the Hummingbird bakery recipe this would be the easier and best cupcake recipe I have tried.
Eat within 2-3 days or freeze unfrosted for up to 3 months.
Takes = 20 minutes
Bakes = 20 minutes
Makes = 12 to 16
- Unsalted butter (room temp) or Flora (non-dairy butter) – 70g (about 5 1/2 tbsp)
- White Spelt or plain flour – 170g (1 cup + 1/4 cup)
- Caster Sugar or coconut sugar – 250g (1 scup)
- Sifted Cocoa Powder – 50g (1/3 cup)
- Baking powder – 2 tsp
- Pinch of fine salt
- Oat or whole milk – 210ml (under 1 cup)
- Large eggs or Flax Egg (2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water + rest 15mins) – 2
Preheat oven 170˚C fan, and grease or paper line muffin tray
Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder then add to the mixing bowl with sugar, salt and butter using the paddle attachment or use a handheld electric beaters and gently beat until you get a sandy texture.
Whisk milk and eggs in a jug before slowly pouring half into the flour mixture, beat a little to combine. Then turn the speed up too high to make it smooth. Reduce the speed too low and slowly pour in the remaining liquid. Stop and scrap the sides of the mixing bowl. Continue to mix again on high for a few minutes, do not over-mix, as you will add too much air.
Pour the mixture into cupcake papers, about 2/3 full and bake for 20 to 22 minutes. They should spring back when touched.
Easy Chocolate Frosting (not too thick icing for 12)
NB double this recipe if using a piping bag and making decorative swirls
- Sifted icing sugar – 150g (1 cup + 1/4 cup approx)
- Unsalted butter or non-dairy butter – 50g (just under 1/2 cup)
- Cocoa powder – 40g (3 to 5 tbsp depending on how chocolatey you like them)
- Oat or whole milk – 20ml (about 2-3 tbsp)
Method for Frosting
Sift icing sugar and cocoa powder together
Beat on a slow to medium speed icing sugar, butter and cocoa powder together with an electric mixer or with a paddle attachment. Then lower the speed to add in the milk and butter a little at a time. Once all the ingredients are combined, turn the mixer up high and whip until fluffy, this will take about 5 minutes. The longer it is beaten the fluffier and lighter it becomes.
Using a spatula smooth onto the cooled cupcakes or scoop into a piping bag and decorate each cupcake.
- *Sifted Icing sugar 200g (1 +1/2 cup + 1 tbsp)
- Coconut milk – 20ml (2 tbsp)
- Butter – 50g
MIX icing sugar and butter together until the butter is in small pieces then add in the coconut milk. (Please note; in my video I didn't add enough icing sugar). Whip until light and smooth.
SMOOTH onto the top of the cupcake with a icing spatula or use a piping bag and sprinkle with a little coconut.