My carrot cake muffins are super delicious my easy mix, moist and semi-healthy. A perfect bake to involve the children. Fun to make, even more fun to eat; even without the added cream cheese icing. A great muffin to take when travelling, a quick breakfast or a snack when you're feeling like something a little sweet but not chocolate. I'm not a fan of muffins that are too sweet or large. This size is perfect for me and not too sweet. I have modified from my large carrot cake recipe. Makes about 11-12 small muffins
- Grated Carrots – 200g /about 2 cups / 4 medium sized carrots
- Spelt or Plain Flour – 150g / about 1 cup
- Castor Sugar – 3 tbsp
- Dark Brown Sugar – 100g / about 1/2 cup
- Egg – 1
- Vegetable Oil / or Melted Butter – 60ml / about 1/4 cup
- Baking Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Bicarbonate of soda– 1/2 teaspoon
- Ground cinnamon – 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Vanilla Essence/Extract – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – pinch
Cream Cheese Topping (optional)
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Sifted Icing Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Cream cheese (room temperature) – 90g / about 3/4 cup
- PREHEAT– oven 160˚C fan / 180˚C
- ADD paper cases or grease with a little butter your 12 cup muffin tray
- MIX all wet ingredients together, oil, eggs, vanilla.
- WHISK – flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon
- COMBINE all ingredients into one bowl and add in the grated carrots. Don't worry if this mixture looks too thick, it will be perfect when baked.
- SCOOP out using a large spoon or ice cream scoop into your muffin tin, about 3/4 full.
- BAKE – 20-30mins
- COOL before eating
- ADD cream cheese icing if you like now or dust with icing sugar. Mix the lemon juice, icing sugar and cream cheese together then slowly add only to the top part of the cake, kind of a dabbing technique this looks the best.