Chocolate lava cakes or puddings are so quick they only take 10 minutes to prepare and 10 minutes to bake. Gooey, melt in the middle warm chocolate is always a restaurant-quality quick dessert you can bake at home. Super easy to make, and you can prep beforehand and then they a so quick and voilà an impressive dessert for your family or guests. My recipe is made slightly healthier, with spelt flour.
*Spelt flour is a good source of fibre. The texture is light and airy like wheat flour and can be substituted in baking cakes, cookies, pancakes and bread for a healthier alternative to wheat flour. Even though spelt flour it is not 100% gluten-free, the grain is more water-soluble than wheat, therefore the body can digest spelt flour better than regular flour. Spelt is also a good source of fibre, protein, vitamins and minerals. Calcium, magnesium, selenium, zinc, iron and manganese. It also had vitamin E and B complex - in particular niacin.
Serves 4 large or 6 small ramekins
- 120g quality dark chocolate
- 120g unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 120g castor sugar
- 60g Spelt flour (or plain flour)
1. Preheat oven 170˚C degrees. Grease 6 ovenproof 9cm ramekins with melted butter. I have also made them in my muffin tray for larger amounts.
2. Melt butter and chocolate in a double saucepan. Set aside cool slightly.
3. Make the batter, beat the eggs and sugar till light and airy for about 2mins. Beat in melted butter and chocolate mixture, then flour. Mix until blended completely.
4. Bake for about 10–12 mins (depending on your oven). Do a test to check your oven first to check the timing. Remember you can put them in the refrigerator and bake closer to the time you require.
5. Let cool for about 5–10 mins before serving. You can gently remove them with a knife around the sides or serve in the ramekins. I love adding vanilla ice cream and serving the puddings with fresh berries or a raspberry reduction.