I am calling this bread my magic spelt bread as this recipe is no rise and no-knead. Really? Magic eh! This is a quick and easy spelt bread recipe. Only 5 minutes to prepare and 60 minutes to bake. Made with whole grain Spelt flour, or swap for wholewheat flour, 3 types of seeds, warm water, salt, dry yeast and either vinegar or lemon juice. That's all. Mix everything together, then pour the dough which is rather runny into a small loaf tin and bake for 60-80 minutes. It's super tasty toasted.
I was inspired by a recipe I saw on another blog site where is my spoon. My first thought was this can't be true, this won't recipe work, and it will probably taste disgusting. But I was pleasantly surprised. Apparently, it is an old German recipe.
Takes = 5 minutes of prep
Bakes = oven 60 minutes, rest 10 minutes, cool at least 20 minutes
Makes = one small loaf of about 10 slices
- Wholegrain Spelt flour, or wholewheat flour – 500g (4 cups + 2 tablespoons)
- Sesame seeds – 70g (1/2 cup)
- Chia seeds or flax seeds – 70g (1/2 cup)
- Sunflower seeds – 70g (1/2 cup)
- Warm tap water – 500ml (2 cups)
- Dry yeast – 14g (5 teaspoons)
- Fine salt – 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice or vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Prepare a small 900g (2 lb) loaf tin, by greasing with a little butter and lining the sides and bottom with paper, I leave it long on the sides so I can lift the bread out easily.
- Whisk flour, salt and seeds together. Add in yeast and warm water. If you're not sure if the yeast is fresh mix it in with the warm water and rest for 10 minutes if it starts foaming it's good to use. Or if you're using fresh yeast dissolve it in warm water for a few minutes. Then mix in the lemon juice or vinegar.
- Pour the runny batter into your loaf tin and bake for 60-80 minutes starting with the oven cold, then turn it onto 200˚C static. I like to bake this for 60 minutes, turn the oven off and let the bread rest for another 10 minutes to ensure it is cooked in the middle. Remove and rest for 10 minutes before removing it from the tin. Cool before slicing. This is a heavy dense loaf, we love it toasted for breakfast.
Sue Maree P Baking Tips
- Mix and match the seeds
- Experiment with a mix of different flours
- Loaf tin – 900g (2 lb.). Internal size 12.5cm (5 inches), 22.5cm (9 inches), 6.5cm (2.5 inch.es)